Author Topic: Album Recommendations (any album, any band, any style ^.^)  (Read 10460 times)

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
Album Recommendations (any album, any band, any style ^.^)
« on: December 31, 2013, 06:21:22 »
Hello, guys!

I guess this topic being opened on 31.12.13 - the last day of the year - will bring it good fate! ;)

This topic is about albums we want to introduce to other people. I know that I'm not the only one browsing the topic of "what is next playing" to find some new worthy music ;) so I thought it would be a great idea to have a topic where we can talk about albums we liked, recommend them to others and, perhaps, discover new music!!

So to show what I mean precisely I'd like to share with you this album

which I have discovered this year when was searching for composers similar to Ludovico Einaudi. She writes for piano and additional instruments (like my beloved violin, for example, but here it plays only a supporting role) and this album is filled with light eloquence, thoughtful elegance and slightly distanced emotions... It helps me to calm down and accept life the way it is.

Style: contemporary-classic piano (as stated in wikipedia)
Instruments: piano (main), violins, etc
Album pace: slowly unfolding
Album mood: thoughtful, a bit melancholic, tender
Best for: thinking, having a walk, working (especially when it's hard to concentrate), studying

It always looks like a straight line outside when everything is bent inside.

Zeake_Asakura Offline ru

• Forenlichtgestalt
Antw:Album Recommendations (any album, any band, any style ^.^)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 12:40:22 »
Thanks for the topic, Nina! It should've been invented earlier because it's nice :)
In my turn, I'd like to introduce you the album that impressed me the most last year.

Ryr - До конца времён (Till The End Of Time)
The style is martial industrial, it means that most of people won't be able to listen the whole album until the end :) (but those who manage won't regret it) because it's not quite music but more a sound collage of threatening march rhythms beating you in the ears and endlessly looped samples from films and old speeches.
The album is "the dream the world had" as it's written inside. And it is like a book about what happened after the world was over. The first song is (suddenly) called "Epilogue", where Solveig's aria slowly turns to agressive battle drums with a lonely voice in the background repeteadly asking if anyone can hear him. Those brave people who survive the row of hits, explosions, shouts, screams and sad strings and brasses will inevitably be lead to a last but one song called "The last legion" which is the collapse of the whole thing and even sounds a bit like real music :D The dialogue "- Der Krieg is langer vorbei. - Er ist nicht vorbei, nicht für much. - Der Krieg ist langer vorbei..." is repeated like a mantra and together with a heroic and sad music awakes the warrior in you.
The whole album is quite a break for Russian martial industrial music that before wasn't very noticeable behind their Europeans colleagues' backs. But Ryr made a real sound monument even without using any samples of Hitler's speeches that Europeans like using very much :)

Style: martial industrial.
Instrumental: samples, electronics.
Album pace: what does it mean? Heavy steps of doom I guess :)
Album mood: "We all will die in a terrible war that will put the end to this rotten world"
Best for: listening while watching as the nuclear explosion shockwave approaches you.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.

NuWoLa Offline mx

• Forenfreak
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 00:36:49 »
I like this topic! Thank you Nina, Let me think about some albums :)
Ich warte auf dich! 

godgott Offline 00

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 20:33:52 »
I really like this topic!
Tańczący Trumniarz...

Lorena_89 Offline ar

• Forenguru
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 17:41:25 »
GOTTA LOVE THIS TOPIC!

I will recomend you: COLOURS IN THE DARK by Tarja Turunen

My boxset lol, but you can get the standar album, it's amazing the way it sounds, Tarja is playing a lot with her voice, different styles, a lot of colours, a soul- journey while listening to such a masterpiece, I totally can say this is the best album of 2013, with no doubts!

Give her a try peeps! ;D
★ Leave a trail of Magick wherever you go! ★

Eiseskälte Offline de

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Minister of correct LacriLyrics and Philosophy
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 16:43:34 »
I would like to recommend you the CD 'Tomorrow' by a rather unknown Swedish post-rock-band called 'Oh Hiroshima'. In general their music consists of very atmospheric instrumentals with only little or no lyrics at all. Some tracks feature a Burzum-like howling though ;)

01 Awakening
02 Hopes
03 Dreams
04 Rest

'Tomorrow' is rather short to call it an album. It's more of an E.P. since it only features 4 tracks which follow a kind of concept. Actually the E.P. is not sold, but to be downloaded for free, e.g. at last.fm. So you can't do anything wrong with just getting the CD and listen to it ;-)

Here you got an example of their sound^^
Oh Hiroshima - Rest

Keeper of Tilo's Free Will ;-)

A Elena Offline ro

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Ich warte auf dich ...
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 22:19:32 »
I would like to recommend you the album Evinta, by My Dying Bride.

It is a very special album, not in the usual doom metal band's style. Released in 2011, ( the year of their 20th celebration :) ), the album contains reinterpreted old themes, in a neo-classical/dark ambient manner.
Noch immer brennt in mir dein Licht

A Elena Offline ro

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Ich warte auf dich ...
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 22:54:17 »
And another recommendation for tonight is the album Imago Mortis, by Von Dort.
It is a fabulous journey in 9 parts, ( as the album has 9 tracks), in a ... let me say neo-classical/darkwave style ( for me, and I'm not good at all in classifying :) ), just re-creating in front of the receptor's eyes a deeply impressing story.
Recorded in 2011, the album is still unreleased, if I'm not wrong... but you can listen to 2 of the songs ( the most powerful songs, actually) here:
 http://vk.com/wall-34724138_325

(And maybe Nikita will come here and tell you more. :) )

A Elena Offline ro

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Ich warte auf dich ...
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 23:05:03 »
:) And the last recommendation for now, is the album Sounds of Pain by Uaral, a doom/folk metal band.
I'm back to this album tonight, thinking of the friend who kindly showed me the beauty of their dark and sometimes extreme music.

Lorena_89 Offline ar

• Forenguru
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 01:35:53 »
For those ones who enjoy - as I do - Symphonic metal bands with the voice of a fronted soprano as a lead singer, here it's a great album by 'Aesma Daeva' in this album it's not Melissa Ferlaak who's singing, it's Therion's soprano called: Lori Lewis.

You should check it out peeps ;D

'Dawn Of The New Athens'

★ Leave a trail of Magick wherever you go! ★

godgott Offline 00

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 17:39:13 »
I just would like to show a simply but for me so pure voice.

Band- IONA

Iona - Dancing on the Wall

Iona Revelation
Tańczący Trumniarz...

LUSha Offline cn

• Forenfreak
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 20:58:44 »
nice topic Nina

I newly find an old band i like very much, a british punk band called "The Adicts" who exists for a long time and regrouped

they take their images after Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange--that caught my attention in first place

they singing in nice british accent, and again feels very much like Clockwork Orange
careless, rough, getting high, powerful

This one viva la Revolution
The Adicts - Live! recordings

from single of the same name in 1982

because their guitarplay and style remind me of the good dark 80's

And this one "Easy Way Out" taken from Made in England

The Adicts - Easy Way Out

I really love it, the rythmn, melody and lyrics, some parts the drums and singing gave me illusion of bauhaus

but they have such unique style, that even in today they don't fall into the stereotype flow

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 21:08:46 by LUSha »
Kunst und Lust folgen aus demselben Trieb ->Meine Lust

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 13:53:06 »
Great recommendations!!  :D I want to recommend another one... Well, actually, I never thought I would find an album I would gladly used to describe my own life, but since I've found one it would be stupid not to share  :D ;D

Wikipedia about the artist - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emika

Sample
Emika - Sleep With My Enemies

Style: electronic, dark, downtempo, trance (?)
Album pace: trance
Album mood: melancholy, thoughtful
Best for: (arbitrary) dancing, thinking
It always looks like a straight line outside when everything is bent inside.

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 07:39:23 »
I like this topic and I've never been here before ;D
Thanks for the nice recommedations. And here is mine:

From Russia with love:  M O T O R A M A

Some time ago I gladly found this guys thanks to a guy I don't even like, but their music catche me in a second! It was love at first hear. I am sure you will be glad to find some kind of cold, melancholic post-punk, with this persistent guitars, sonorous bass, consistent drums and a cooool deep voice to the very style of Ian Curtis! It is inevitable not to think of Joy Division, maybe not that dark, but with a singular taste, you will be trapped in an 80's athmosphere! ;D If you are into 80's, new wave, post-punk, rock, you will enjoy of this band!

Motorama - To The South

Band: Motorama
Album: Calendar

Tyckondrus Offline ru

• Forenguru
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 07:55:10 »
Wow! What a great topic! There's so much astists, bands and albums I can recommend to all of you, I'll do it gradually=)

First, I want to present you a band that I discovered for myself on January 1st this year - VOLBEAT.
It's a danish band that now has a great success in Scandinavian countries. They play hard rock/heavy metal music with some country & rockabilly influence, have many great melodies and hits. Some times I think they can be called heavy version of Nickelback.
Past year Volbeat released new record called "Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies".

As always there's many great hits on this and danish metal legend King Diamond as a special guest on song "Room 24".
Check the music video of the main album hit "Cape of our Hero"
Volbeat - Cape Of Our Hero
Minister of Lacrimosa's Musical Archive