Author Topic: HMV going bankruptcy?  (Read 3117 times)

LUSha Offline cn

• Forenfreak
HMV going bankruptcy?
« on: January 15, 2013, 15:45:00 »
News reference:
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/01/15/british-retailer-hmv-enters-equivalent-of-bankruptcy/
"LONDON – The British music retail chain HMV announced on Tuesday that it had entered administration, a form of bankruptcy, as it became the latest British company to suffer from the country’s flagging economy.
HMV, whose history dates back to 1902 and well-known trademark is a dog sat next to a gramophone, said it had failed to reach an agreement with its creditors over outstanding debts, and would appoint administrators to oversee the business, including a potential sale to new owners. The company’s shares have also been suspended from trading on the London Stock Exchange."

Just read it today, finally it came to bring an effect on this big retailer. Last year before going back to hometown, i checked out the music store where i used to buy some DVD and it's gone, replaced by a cloth store, and without noticing many of them are gone. I hardly see any music store around.

So...what do you think? Do you still buy any actual video/audio products, CD or DVD? (besides Lacrimosa)

what do you think a band can live on except from CD/DVDs.
Doing gigs/festival/digital products?
Kunst und Lust folgen aus demselben Trieb ->Meine Lust

jenny-jen Offline de

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Minister Of Smile
Antw:HMV going bankruptcy?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 16:06:51 »
Well, I think we will see such things like this in the future more than once... it's pretty sad, but the digitalizing has changed us, our behavior and thinking. Most people don't care about to have a CD, the artwork, something which you can hold in your hands. They prefer everything to be more comfortable, to have their music everywhere... Well, as for me, I still buy CDs though I'm still a student and therefore I can't buy many, or just second hand like on flea markets or Ebay. But I also have to say that I don't use my CDs very often. I always put them on my PC (which has the best sound ;) ) but when I have more time than just listening I watch the artwork with its lyrics. I really like this. :)

To talk about their survival, I think the musicians have to change themselves as well when they want to make money. It's already today that the concerts are the biggest profit. And I guess it will be worse for them... I mean, already the next generation doesn't know about CDs, even less vinyls. They have to be very creative to survive...
*** Minister Of Smile ***

A Elena Offline ro

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Ich warte auf dich ...
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 16:37:39 »
Well, this is very sad, but very ...  real, if I may say so...!!!
I still buy CDs and DVDs, and I loooooove to use them, not too many, because they are quite expensive ...! No matter how much I'd want to, I simply cannot afford to buy many CDs ...  And there is another big problem here, in my city: it is very difficult to find the music I listen to, in our music stores. Still, there's a hope: a concert is a good opportunity to find a wanted CD... And yes, I use to go to the concerts...very often...

And Jenny's totally right, musicians have to do something very special to survive ...
Noch immer brennt in mir dein Licht

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 19:01:12 »
This is really sad and always controversial and sometimes confusing!

I remember I was talking with Txarly Usher (spanish singer from Los Carniceros del Norte and La Casa Usher) and he told me, hey, we don't really care if people download or buy cd's, what we care is for people going to our concerts, that's what give us money!!! And that's because of labels, big labels are always earning money with other's work. Let's be honest, many cd's are always expensive, I remember I recently saw "Ok Computer" by Radiohead, in dollars it was like 30USD and I was like wtf!! o.O' I mean, that's a masterpiece and I wouldn't mind to pay it directly to the band but 30 dollars for a very normal jewelcase that is going to sonymusic (not sure lol)? Not really.

I love to have the cd's, always... I recently started buying just special or limited editions and vinyls, I think that's a good idea from the bands, many of them are doing very special and limited editions of their albums for a fair price, sometimes expensive but fair according with what you are receinving. For them, that's a good way to earning money of what they are doing, even if people download the album, many others are buying this editions and money goes to them. In my opinion that is a good way to avoid digitization monster and survive!!!

But actually, this is current state of music industry in most of cases:

I guess it was cheaper to throw this out than keeping them in storage.
that picture was taken by Daniel Myer in fron of metropolis records office.
Sad! :/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 19:02:55 by Mozart »

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 19:51:13 »
As for me, I still buy the CDs, because if I care for some band I try to support them with my money... But in general, from what I've heard about the music industry, musicians earn more money by touring. This is the sad state of affairs in the music industry.

And I've heard it a lot of times from people that they won't ever buy a CD when they can easily download it. On the other hand, I've heard from many other people that they start to be conscious about the effects of such actions and they want to buy the CDs and support the bands. I think it is mainly thanks to the musicians who often talk about it in the interviews and try to explain it to their fans.

And from what I've noticed, fans become really interested in  some special limited editions of the albums, I don't know whether it can be a solution to this problem or not, but if they see the word limited, they want it. With different bonuses of course.

By the way, even if I buy the CDs, I don't do it in a real physical store, I order them online. It is more convenient and saves time. I think I am not the only one who does that, so this is probably the second reason why musical stores disappear.

A Elena Offline ro

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Ich warte auf dich ...
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 20:12:49 »
By the way, even if I buy the CDs, I don't do it in a real physical store, I order them online. It is more convenient and saves time. I think I am not the only one who does that, so this is probably the second reason why musical stores disappear.

Oh, so ... I'm old-fashioned  :)... Just like with books, I adore to be surrounded by CDs, to see them closely ....that's why I'm sad when I can't find a good music store, because I have to order on-line what I want....  This on-line affair is so impersonal (of course, more comfortable ;), but I'd gladly give up this comfort! ) ..., while visiting a store was like visiting dear persons ...
Noch immer brennt in mir dein Licht

jenny-jen Offline de

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Minister Of Smile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 20:20:55 »
because if I care for some band I try to support them with my money...
+1 this is also my main thought when I buy Cds :)
*** Minister Of Smile ***

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 20:25:23 »
Oh, so ... I'm old-fashioned  :)... Just like with books, I adore to be surrounded by CDs, to see them closely ....that's why I'm sad when I can't find a good music store, because I have to order on-line what I want....  This on-line affair is so impersonal (of course, more comfortable ;), but I'd gladly give up this comfort! ) ..., while visiting a store was like visiting dear persons ...
With book-stores it's different with me, I never miss an opportunity to visit one :) I love to go round the shelves and look for all kinds of books... Maybe I have such attitude to music stores because I have never had one near my home or work. So I never developed the habit of visiting music stores...

LUSha Offline cn

• Forenfreak
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 00:06:59 »
Nice to read your inputs...

And that i agree..
To talk about their survival, I think the musicians have to change themselves as well when they want to make money. It's already today that the concerts are the biggest profit. And I guess it will be worse for them... I mean, already the next generation doesn't know about CDs, even less vinyls. They have to be very creative to survive...
change to survive...maybe they have to!

Another thing i find, on forum when a fan asks about Lacrimosa music download, the first ones who replied him, sugges for purchasing an authentic album, just a few years ago, before we seriously start the big argue about pirate products...one cannot really imagine this at all!

Therefore, the power of thoughts...is much stronger than force of muscles...

Back to CDs, same with me, I normally only transfered the music and put them away...
I think, the same as Tape or VHS or VCD or anything that passed, as medium it's a process they come and die, today you almost don't see CD players for sale...and we weep over CD as once over Tapes...however for vinyls they might survive and do better...as many just collect them and LP player is somehow a "trend"?
Kunst und Lust folgen aus demselben Trieb ->Meine Lust

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 03:52:29 »
I think the problem with these kind of media stores now is that everything is going digital. Personally, I mostly buy everything from itunes which is digital and (obviously) you don't get the physical CD. However, if it's my favorite band (Like Lacrimosa) then I will buy ALL the discs etc. However, a lot of the music I like isn't sold in those big media stores and I usually have to buy from abroad. Whether it's on ebay, gemm or at a mass media market in the motherland. X_X  In terms of DVD, I've really stopped buying them because I have paid internet services which allow me to endlessly (without commercial) stream many movies or series to my media devices at home. A very big competitive issue to the DVD market. I know some people don't buy DVDs because they really don't watch movies more than once. I have that problem as well and if I really do want to go back to that film, then I can usually find it on my paid internet portals. However, I simply cannot say "yes" to all e-books as I love bookstore browsing and hunting. I'm an avid fan of used book and media stores!!

Hanajash Offline ar

• Forenguru
  • Para desahogar el corazón...
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 13:20:58 »
I love cd's. I love to open them, read the booklet, see what's inside, listen to the music while reading the lyrics... Of course, I can't buy everything I want. Firstly, because not everything is available in my country, although there are some specialized cd stores that help. Second, they are very expensive for the average argentinian...  :(

As for 'piracy', I remember a dialogue with Mr Flyman, in his FB, when some people were talking about piracy, independent musicians, etc... I remember I told him that I had to options in the case I can't afford very expensive cd's: a) thank you internet for everything you give; or b) oh great, let's listen to one direction, niki miniaj, britney speers, random reggeaton in my local radio station, yaaaaay...
He understood that some countries are just special. Argentinian love music. And books. Not most of us, but there's still a lot of culture around this society.

And yes, there's a lot of people that ask me: whaaaaaa' you buy cd's, you buy boooooks? you crazy? you have to download it, why you pay when it's freeeeee?
And yes, 'viveza criolla' won't ever leave us.

As some above have said: musician will have to be business-creative. And some of them will have to think about earning good money, instead of collecting mannors. Just my opinion.
Al na taakor natúa, al tishkaj et hatikváh... Hashiveni veashuba el haaretz hatováh...