Author Topic: Last seen movie  (Read 120759 times)

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
Antw:Last seen movie
« Reply #630 on: February 09, 2015, 16:51:23 »
Recently I've watched the movie "Jupiter Ascending" by Wachowskis (brother and sister). I of course remembered this name because of "The Matrix" movie.

Well, what can I say - if you expect an epic similar to "The Matrix" - this is not what you will get. There is a strong idea and some philosophy in Matrix, and here it's not the case (imho of course).
What you'll really get here? Remote future, spaceships, aliens, intergalactic royal family affairs, love story, cinderella-type story, chases, battle-scenes... Visually it's good, but nowadays majority of the movies are visually good because if you make it not good enough, you'll be overshadowed by many other Hollywood movies with special effects...
Personally for me it turned out to be a one-time movie, maybe good enough to spend time with friends eating popcorn, but I won't re-watch it.
I wasn't disappointed because actually I didn't built any big expectations, we simply wanted any movie to spend time on weekend... And it actually didn't leave any bad traces in my memory, it was okay. Just it's not a legendary movie.

EkaterinaCat Offline ru

• First Forenmeister
« Reply #631 on: February 21, 2015, 15:21:04 »

I just looked strange film. "Wild Tales."
This is a film from Argentina. The original name of "Relatos salvajes".
Six different little stories about revenge and how the chain of events can lead to disaster. About how a person in an instant can become an animal.
In the film no celebrities or some amazing special effects, but I can say that this is definitely one of the best films I've watched over the past year for sure.
Excellent understanding of human nature, mentality and understanding of the world in which we live.
Of these six stories that are in the film everyone can find something close for himself the opportunity to some extent, to look themselves from the outside.
Not all six stories equally liked me. but the film is certainly impressive.
But I'm not sure I'll watch it again.
I want to say that the film contains scenes of violence, just to warn you.
The film is not funny, rather cruel, but it has the humor that not everyone will accept the correct degree. The absurdity of our lives.
“I'm no crazy, my reality is just different from yours.” Cheshire Cat

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #632 on: April 04, 2015, 17:30:17 »
I've watched the cartoon "Coraline"

I can say it's a good cartoon, if you just simply want to watch a cartoon, probably with Tim Burton sort of mood. I mean, it'a not an epic, but a nice work. There is a child in every one of us, and if you look at some details with the eyes of this child - you discover that it's a good depiction of some classic children's fears.
I quite enjoyed.

And one more detail that "bought" me - that a black cat was a good character.
I dislike when cats are evil characters, because I love them too much and I think they don't deserve it. :P
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 18:35:39 by Asphodel »

EkaterinaCat Offline ru

• First Forenmeister
« Reply #633 on: April 04, 2015, 19:58:13 »
Julia, I saw this cartoon, too.  :)
Yes, you're right, it's an interesting movie.
Strange and a bit scary.
But much more I liked the book. I do not see a picture, for whatever reason, that you uploaded.
But I'm sure that we're talking about a cartoon based on the works of Neil Gaiman.

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #634 on: April 04, 2015, 21:09:36 »
Julia, I saw this cartoon, too.  :)
Yes, you're right, it's an interesting movie.
Strange and a bit scary.
But much more I liked the book. I do not see a picture, for whatever reason, that you uploaded.
But I'm sure that we're talking about a cartoon based on the works of Neil Gaiman.

strange, because I still see it :o
yes, that one!

Sunny Offline ua

• Forenmeister
« Reply #635 on: April 08, 2015, 23:04:22 »
A very good cartoon, Julia! I can name it amongst my beloved ones. And, by the way, I haven't seen the picture from the very beginning, too  ;D

... nothing ever comes of nothing - we pay a price for all our choices made © Sean Brennan

Sunny Offline ua

• Forenmeister
« Reply #636 on: April 09, 2015, 09:25:53 »
Today I would like to tell you (yet again - as ever - I'm not sure I will be the first to tell you about this film  :) )...
Yet still... It's "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari".
First of all, I need to mention that it belongs to the silent era of cinema (1920).
Second, I can't help noticing that real aesthetic pleasure it gave me. Its angled settings as well as a spellbounding chiaroscuro play makes it worthy of being watched by anyone who loves the "gothic atmosphere".
Third, this film belongs to expressionism. While watching it I had a very strange feeling: I watched something "true" (or is it better to say "original"?) - not a copy, but a "native inhabitant" of expressionism as it was. And, well, I dare say it's much cooler that beholding the paintings of, say, Vasiliy Kandinsky. It's not the question of seeing - it's rather the question of experiencing.
Moreover, there is some unexplainable, special charm in silent films... they are much more emotional in themselves.
Forth - oh, the plot. The hardest part. 'Cause... in itself it might be a horror film. Something in the like of Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein". Yes, exactly. It might be some another variant of the story of a scientist responsible (or is it true?) for the consequences of his experiment.
It might be - but for it being an expressionist film. And that actually means that it's a rave. The very verge of sanity and reality. A madness. As the film, to be sure, is.
And, finally, my recommendations. Because I do recommend to witness all this with with own eyes. Because it gives you - as any piece of art actually should - something to FEEL, to LIVE THROUGH and then it leaves to you to decide if you really need it  ;)

P.S. Sorry for such a long tale (and, I must confess, almost senseless  ;D ). My only justification may be that I was really awed and "taken in" while watching it.
(By the way, it's available on YouTube)
... nothing ever comes of nothing - we pay a price for all our choices made © Sean Brennan

Sunny Offline ua

• Forenmeister
« Reply #637 on: April 27, 2015, 08:49:26 »
(Oh, here it is, Julia: now I see your picture of Coralina  ;D )

Yesterday I re-watched a marvellous, marvellous animation film "Nightmare Before Christmast" (oh, yes, I do realize that it must be too familiar to everyone  ;D ). But I just can't help sharing my fascination (again!) with it, 'cause after so many years my impression still remains that of magic!
Well, I'll say just a few words: a beautiful story of how Pride and Ambition is conquered by Love and Self-denial. A wondrous fairy-tale (which is, actually, a musical) combining in itself all the features in Romanticism. "Frightening" in from and beautiful in content.
Yes, it's not the Christmas time now. Yes, the real life is much better than illusion. But I guess that everyone should find some place for magic in one's life. Such stories make us smile and make our lives better  :)

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #638 on: April 27, 2015, 18:31:31 »
yes, I uploaded another picture... :P

"Nightmare Before Christmas" - yes, this is an epic, this is for ages :) I love it... I remember how I was hunting for it when I had no internet and no decent shops with DVDs around.
Very touching to me... So magical and fragile

Sunny Offline ua

• Forenmeister
« Reply #639 on: April 27, 2015, 21:22:36 »
Exactly, Julia! Somewhere about... oh, just a few years ago  ;D  I was hunting for it, too! And yesterday I gained the opportunity to watch it in the original... just magnificent!

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #640 on: August 01, 2015, 10:24:36 »

Not too many words to be added. Terribly, deeply touching. There are some images in this movie I will never forget.  :(

Oh. Judging by the picture and your desc, this is a worthwhile movie! thank you, going to find it now

I've just finished watching CITIZENFOUR a couple of hours ago. Sadly, during those events depicted there, and what followed, I was barely attentive, I had neither strength nor time (or will?..) to get into these complicated and downright outrageous matters. But now I did. And it is good that I did. Strongly recommend watching to anyone who's using Internet or any modern communication device whatsoever...

It always looks like a straight line outside when everything is bent inside.

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #641 on: August 03, 2015, 16:01:22 »
Had some free time today to spend at home, so I watched....

It was okay. But I have a feeling that the story is not told in it's full. For example: the society is split into five factions... I would like to know more about them, but only three play any part in the story, others are just barely mentioned.
Each person at the age of 16 has to be tested and choose a faction to join - for the rest of their life. But I think it's not realistic. In life it's very seldom that a person has only one affinity. I think, the percentage of "divergents" (those whose test results show more than one faction) has to be a lot higher.
There are not many people who are interested only in intellectual things or only in helping others. People have many sides! (But it seems that some people are interested in nothing at all...)
If the described society is really built this way, - if I was an author - I would show more tension and pressure in people's lives because of strict rules and borders they had to obey... But in the story, only a few divergents seem to have any problem with this.

Nowadays there are a lot of popular movies about people who suddenly find that they are "not like everyone". I don't mind such stories if they are interesting, but it seems to be a trend.
I would prefer this one to be more detailed, I don't know how, the time of the movie is limited of course... But after watching there was a feeling that everything was told too quick.

EkaterinaCat Offline ru

• First Forenmeister
« Reply #642 on: August 04, 2015, 15:22:02 »
Soooo...
I started watching the new series "Zoo". Strange movie. I do not like to watch movies, where the animals are mistreated.
But in this movie the animals are forced to fight against them.
Since the animals suddenly decided to finish the main role of man on the planet.
The animals came another intelligence. And they began an uprising in different parts of the world, if I may say so.
And some groups of people are trying to figure out why the animals began to behave in this way.

In general, I agree that mankind deserves punishment for the way we treat animals, but the plot of this film scares me.
I'm beginning to think that my cat sometimes strange aggressive towards me.  ;D

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #643 on: August 05, 2015, 16:52:50 »

This movie covers first Iraqi elections since the occupation... I do not have much to add to this line. Another great documentary by Laura Poitras...
It always looks like a straight line outside when everything is bent inside.

Arkana Offline ru

• Major Forenfreak
  • Be relentless
« Reply #644 on: September 01, 2015, 23:01:22 »
Had some free time today to spend at home, so I watched....

It was okay. But I have a feeling that the story is not told in it's full. For example: the society is split into five factions... I would like to know more about them, but only three play any part in the story, others are just barely mentioned.
Each person at the age of 16 has to be tested and choose a faction to join - for the rest of their life. But I think it's not realistic. In life it's very seldom that a person has only one affinity. I think, the percentage of "divergents" (those whose test results show more than one faction) has to be a lot higher.
There are not many people who are interested only in intellectual things or only in helping others. People have many sides! (But it seems that some people are interested in nothing at all...)
If the described society is really built this way, - if I was an author - I would show more tension and pressure in people's lives because of strict rules and borders they had to obey... But in the story, only a few divergents seem to have any problem with this.

Nowadays there are a lot of popular movies about people who suddenly find that they are "not like everyone". I don't mind such stories if they are interesting, but it seems to be a trend.
I would prefer this one to be more detailed, I don't know how, the time of the movie is limited of course... But after watching there was a feeling that everything was told too quick.

As far as I know there's a second part of this movie. Do you watched it?
A few months ago I had the mood to watch such movie like Divergent. Moreover, I wanted to watch exactly this movie, cause I saw a instalation of the train at the Festival of Fantasy in Moscow (kind of ComicCon), and I was really cuious to know the story of the train. Well, after watching both parts I've understand, that the main thing in the movie - IT'S A TRAIN!  ;D
From the one hand, it's really interesting theme - kind of utopia, the model of the society and people behaving.
From the other hand - it looks too banal. Boy and girl "not like everyone" who save the world, fall in love and bla-bla-bla...
Honestly, it looks boring when you watch the same movie only with diferent faces in cast.
Talking about this genre - try to watch Hungry Games, maybe you like it more, cause there the story have many details and still continue, of course you'll find there still the same boy and girl "not like everyone" who save the world, fall in love and bla-bla-bla, but the actors playing there much better, on my opinion...
The time has no power over heart full of love, soul full of faith and music full of senses.