Author Topic: poetry you like  (Read 30269 times)

Aional Offline

• Forenhase
poetry you like
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 20:04:07 »
Alone

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were---I have not seen
As others saw---I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I lov'd, I loved alone.
Then---in my childhood---in the dawn
Of a most stormy life---was drawn
From ev'ry depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain,
From the sun that 'round me roll'd
In its autumn tint of gold---
From the lightning in the sky
As it pass'd me flying by---
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view.

By POE.
Goodbye.

†Lady Leben Offline

• Forenkenner First Class
poetry you like
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 19:01:29 »
Poe's great! :D

DeviD Offline

• just registered
poetry you like
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 13:37:06 »
I like Tilo's poetry  :roll:
And all that poems where I can find myself  :|
Dies ist der Morgen danach
Und meine Seele liegt brach.
Dies ist der Morgen danach,
Ein neuer Tag beginnt
Und meine Zeit verrinnt.

Vannie Offline

• Major Forenkenner
poetry you like
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 18:03:09 »
there's a dutch band called Omnia who have set a poem of Poe, the Raven, onto music. I think it's really beautiful - i get chills everytime i hear it, especially live.

if someone is interested, you can listen it here:  http://www.myspace.com/omnianeocelt . first song, starts right away ;)
What will happen, will I dream? I am too scared to close my eyes...

VNV Nation

pierre.francisco Offline

• Forenkenner
poetry you like
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 18:50:12 »
'A slumber did my spirit seal'
Wordsworth, William

'A slumber did my spirit seal,
I had no human fears,
She seemed a thing that could not feel,
The touch of earthly years.

No motion has she now, no force,
She neither hears nor sees,
Rolled round in Earth's diurnal course,
With rocks, and stones and trees'.

'Eternity'
('L’Éternité')                              

Rimabud, Jean Arthur

1. (From: Fetes de la Patience)

'It’s found you see.
What? – Eternity.
It’s the sun, free
To run with the sea.

Soul on watch
In whispers confess
To the empty night
To the day’s excess.

From the mortal weal
From the common urge
Here you diverge
To fly as you feel.

Since from you alone
Embers of satin
Duty breathes down
With no ‘at last’ spoken.

There’s nothing of hope,
No entreaty here.
Science and patience,
Torture is real.

It’s found you see.
What? – Eternity.
It’s the sun, free
To run with the sea.'

2. (From: Une Saison en Enfer)

'It’s found you see!
What? – Eternity.
It’s the sun, mingled
   With the sea.

My immortal soul
Keep your vow
Despite empty night
And the day’s glow.

Then you’ll diverge
From the mortal weal
From the common urge,
And fly as you feel…

- No hope, never,
No entreaty here.
Science and patience,
Torture is real.

No more tomorrow
Embers of satin
Your own ardour
The only duty.

It’s found you see.
- What? - Eternity.
It’s the sun, mingled
With the sea.'
\'The only unbareble thing is that nothing is unbareble\'

Rimbaud, Jean Arthur

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
poetry you like
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 14:28:22 »
Quote from: "lacrima_elix"
@Caelum

"Grown-ups are very very strange." :P
Everything you have said is absolutely true, teenagers are different, each one of them is special, feelings are great etc. But I was talking about POETRY. You must admit that although everybody has feelings, not everybody is a poet. I was talking about VALUE. And again you must admit that not all naive things wrote by teenagers (and not only teenagers) has value - except, maybe, for them.
Bottom line: if one wants to be a poet, he or she must read a lot, learn from the other poets, understand that poetry is more than just feelings written on a sheet of paper. Otherwise, he or she will never become a poet and will remain just a teenager bursting with emotion and stuff. Dixi. :P

I reread and reread and I thought...there is something that hits me in the face everytime I read it...see if people are even go and put rules on poetry then what's the natural aspect about it? I don't know rather some of you know 'Jotie 't Hooft' he was a flemish poète maudit and I'm sure you would have put him under 'just a teenager' too if you could read his works since he wrote about death...still he got prices for his works (he only wrote two poetrybooks) ... and in my eyes it's wrong, since many famous poets also use poetry to create an image of their feelings, only they choose their words carefully where others might not do it but what's the difference then?
Another question you don't see Tilo as a poet then? cause I do, for me his lyrics are often more important than his music ... and moreover who decides on his own rather some words have value and others have not, I mean if you say 'you must admit that not all naive things written by teenagers (not only teenagers) have value' than you kind of say their poems are worthless for everybody except for them? I don't really see it like that but then I'm not a teacher either...bit neither a teenager anymore too  8)  :D

Greetings
longway
When you can dream it, you can do it!

Vannie Offline

• Major Forenkenner
poetry you like
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 16:49:33 »
now i've read the whole topic...
...I feel kind of offended as a teenager  :lol: misplaced, maybe, 'cause a lot that is said is true... only not just teenagers long to be different, everyone does. Maybe teens only have the role of being... rebellious. "wanting to shock" ... so if being a grown up, you shouldn't be different anymore - or should we call someone alike Tilo (not being a teen anymore) less shocking to most people as a teenager having the same style? Is it because he is grown up, so he can be taken seriously, and the teen is just a teen, so he / she doesn't know what he / she is doing?
All I want to say is: the world isn't this easy to summarize.

as for poetry: i've never read any "real" poetry seriously, so i can't say anything about that. Everything i write down, is also for myself only. For other people it won't have any value, but for me it has. Someone saying it's 'just a naïve thing from a teenager' can be right about the poem (actually it isn't, because even naïve or bad poetry still is poetry), but not about the value. Value isn't measured by how famous the writer was, how many people like the poem. It's personally.
For me, and i think for many people who don't know about 'rules for poetry', the most beautiful poetry is the kind in which you can either feel the emotion of the writer or in which you can please your own feelings. when considering lyrics as poetry, some songs can make me cry, or laugh, and i love those songs. In other songs i just feel the happiness behind the song, and that makes me love the song too, different though. There are songs which have real depressed lyrics - i am almost afraid for the writer then.. and they are beautiful too.

Caelum wrote in his Misplaced poem:

" My moving body causes swirls,
in the standing, colourless void.
I breathe it in,
I breathe it out. "

Maybe it's just me - but i could see it in my mind. That is also a part of beauty, i think. Words have to be strong to make one imagine.

Greetings from a naïve teenager ;)

VNV Nation

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
poetry you like
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 17:55:34 »
exactly I have even discussed this with my sister a few minutes ago cause I didn't at all agree with this expression. But I guess it is just the way in which you perceive poetry as you said so Vannie. As I see it it's playing with words just to create an image, a feeling, a world even that you feel or see at certain periods of your life.

Greetings
Longway

Alexamp;Ra Offline

• Master Forenkenner
poetry you like
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 23:04:14 »
that is rather strange... then how should one define 'the real' poetry? It is anyway, a personal view of some situation, problem. Can one say that this poem is right and this is wrong?Can one say that feelings of this particular person are deeper? No, because it is a very personal, I'd say even intimate thing. People express their emotions differently. Somedody writes 'calm' poetry, somebody - 'bursting with emotions', etc. and on the point of value... It's Lacrimosa we all are listening to, isn't it? Can you say that Tilo or Anne don't value their feelings?Though they hardly are teenagers :)
Maybe I should light a candle too?

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
poetry you like
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 10:36:57 »
but what is 'the real' poetry? does that even exist? I don't think so...you just have people with more vocabulary than others that's all and apparently only those with a large vocabulary are seen as 'THE' poets, while so many people write (excuse me for abusing the term) poetry which sound very lovely and is much saying why shouldn't one call that poetry then? just cause it hasn't got the label? just cause it isn't published by a (yeah that's how they call it) publisher? that's my point...for me there is no such thing as 'the poetry' for me there's just poetry and maybe one is more capable in writing than another but it stays capable just cause people can read it right? look I love wordsworth for example, I mean his works not the man  :P  :lol: but I have a friend who dislikes that kind of poetry very much is he therefor not a poet anymore? just cause well that's the 'value' she gives it a zero so in her case that poetry only has some value for the man itself...isn't that in any case the same?
Well I just thought it was a weird expression to call 'naïve' teenage writings worthless, cause they aren't...

Greetings
longway

pierre.francisco Offline

• Forenkenner
poetry you like
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 17:58:59 »
Verlainne: Do you think poets can learn with each others?
Rimbaud: Only if they are bad poets.

Farewell,
Pierre

Rimbaud, Jean Arthur

Vannie Offline

• Major Forenkenner
poetry you like
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 20:29:11 »
when i said 'real' poetry it seemed like i think that there is something that tells what is poetry and what is not, but i don't, because even 'bad' poetry, or a poem not made by any (mystical) rules, or any poetry that is disliked, is still poetry.
but i can't give a definition of poetry either.. though i think that every poem has a certain value, as said before.

The three posts after my last actually said what i thought, but then much shorter xD

VNV Nation

Aional Offline

• Forenhase
poetry you like
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 08:26:33 »
I simply wonder how  a teacher of literature could behave this way.
Real poetry is the poetry that can be felt by other people, though not by EVERYONE. It comes from our different ways of percievement.  ;) Is the poetry real or not must be decided by the way you feel about it. It is stupid to be in the main stream, saying that Shakespeare is great if u don't understand him personally. Agree?  ;)
Yes, poets can learn from each other. I don't know how it was in other countries, but in russian history of literature can be found moments when SCHOOLS of POETRY were organised by poets. To teach and learn poetry. Because there are a lot of different styles, emotions...even language's tools... It is a vast field of study. Like maths. But we all do maths in our life, don't we? Even if it is simply arithmetics. Let's agree that we use poetry the way we use maths - when we need it. And we use it accordingly to how much we need it.
And as to the lacrima_elix....
I simply wonder at your pedagogical skills, dear lady.

P.S. The feeling degree depends not on how old are you, but on how much you can feel, what have you come through and other things....  ;)
Goodbye.

Aional Offline

• Forenhase
poetry you like
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 08:44:29 »
Stephen Crane - In the desert
In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said: "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter - bitter," he answered;
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

From all american literature i have read yet Stepeh Crane is the best in my eyes :P
Goodbye.

pierre.francisco Offline

• Forenkenner
poetry you like
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2008, 13:03:44 »
Quote from: "Aional"
I simply wonder how  a teacher of literature could behave this way.
Real poetry is the poetry that can be felt by other people, though not by EVERYONE. It comes from our different ways of percievement.  ;) Is the poetry real or not must be decided by the way you feel about it. It is stupid to be in the main stream, saying that Shakespeare is great if u don't understand him personally. Agree?  ;)
Yes, poets can learn from each other. I don't know how it was in other countries, but in russian history of literature can be found moments when SCHOOLS of POETRY were organised by poets. To teach and learn poetry. Because there are a lot of different styles, emotions...even language's tools... It is a vast field of study. Like maths. But we all do maths in our life, don't we? Even if it is simply arithmetics. Let's agree that we use poetry the way we use maths - when we need it. And we use it accordingly to how much we need it.
And as to the lacrima_elix....
I simply wonder at your pedagogical skills, dear lady.

P.S. The feeling degree depends not on how old are you, but on how much you can feel, what have you come through and other things....  ;)

Oh!, darling! Don't kill me. I was only exposing Rimbaud's point of view. And, YES I CAN, use an exemple of someone (who's an authority in sth - Rimabud is and authority in poetry, no doubt) as an argument. If you read a bit of Chaim Perelman's you'll see that I can.

Farewell,
Pierre

Rimbaud, Jean Arthur