Author Topic: cooking/ kochen  (Read 21746 times)

MelissaFrance Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
Antw:cooking/ kochen
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2013, 01:33:41 »
So, since i've been cooking French today, i've finally translated two of my fav French recipes below :

Gratin de carottes/carrot gratin
For 4 people:
4 carrots,
1 tablespoon of oil/30g butter,
1 tablespoon flour,
about ½ litre of milk,
grated cheese (gruyere, emmental, or mature cheddar are the best kind)
nutmeg

Peel and cut the carrots in slices. Put them in a big sauce pan with ½ l water to boil for about 20 mn (until they are soft, easy to probe with a fork). Meanwhile, prepare the Bechamel sauce: put the oil to heat in a pan, when it’s warm, remove from the heat and add the flour, stirring immediately with a wood spatula until the mix is become smooth. Then put back on medium-low heat and add the milk gradually while you keep stirring all the time. After all the milk is added, add salt and some nutmeg and let it to cook for 5-10 mn more, while you keep stirring. When both carrots and sauce are ready, put oil at the bottom of an oven-compatible dish and add carrots, then sauce on top. After this, add grated cheese over the top surface and put in the oven for 5-10 mn.

Soupe à l’oignon/Onion soup
For 2 people:
3 big white onions,
3 tablespoons oil,
2 tablespoons flour,
½ bouillons cube,
grated cheese

After cutting the onions in medium size pieces, put them in a big saucepan where you have previously put the oil to heat, and heat them until they are slightly golden. Then put the flour, equally spread all over the onions, and stir. Then pour ½ l water where you have made the bouillons cube melt. Add pepper and salt at will and leave to simmer for 30 mn. Serve very hot with grated cheese (and if you wish, croutons).

Hope they seem intriguing to you and you'll enjoy them if you try! :D
LacriWelt Minister of Free Dance

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2013, 03:16:12 »
Meli! I really enjoyed reading the carrot gratin recipe! It seems very doable and I think I would try it one day. ^^

Tänzerin der Dunkelheit Offline de

• Major Forenfreak
  • Minister of dance
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2013, 17:34:03 »
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii new recipes!!! Both sound great, especially because I love onions and also like carrots a lot!

I will try them during this week, I think! But 4 carrots and not very much else for 4 persons? I think, I could eat it alone and still doubt whether it'll be enough! :o Or is this just a side dish? Or am I so greedy? ::) :-[

Nevertheless I'll try and have other things (like bread or something) at home in case it is not enough for me. :)
Of course I tell you! :)
Musik drückt das aus, was nicht gesagt werden kann, doch worüber zu schweigen unmöglich ist. V. Hugo

MelissaFrance Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2013, 17:44:25 »
Christina : ah, you're right, it's for 2 people max, my mistake >.< and you should have another side dish with it, for example i personally would have beaf steak, but for you I guess fried eggs or something like that :)

Nastya : glad it interests you :D
LacriWelt Minister of Free Dance

• Major Forenfreak
  • Minister of dance
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2013, 17:55:05 »
Meli: you are welcome! :)
And I forgot to say, that I like it, that you posted some vegetarian dishes. :)

The ones Olga posted sometimes ago, sounded great, too! But everyone with meat... :(
Musik drückt das aus, was nicht gesagt werden kann, doch worüber zu schweigen unmöglich ist. V. Hugo

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2013, 20:35:36 »
Melissa you're a goddess :D thanks a lot for the carrot-dish!!! I'm in love with carrots ever since I was a baby hehehe my mother had to put them in my milk because I wouldn't drink it otherwise ;) :D ... so I'll definitely try it someday!! And the onion-soup is it the one you prepared for us when I visited you in PAris the last time? Cause thta one tasted nice and I'd like to make it for my family one day as well :) (as they all like onion-soup)

Olga sorry, I'm not a salmon-lover (not a fish-lover  :-[ :-[ :-[) :D but I'm sure it must have been delicious for those who do like it :)
When you can dream it, you can do it!

Grazia Offline ru

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Make love not war (c) Gershon Legman
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2013, 23:28:16 »
Meli I admire the onions soup! especially with that big piece of bread with cheese pre-baked in stove, makes so warm in cold rainy weather!

ChristinaI thought whether I ever cook anything meatless and I recalled an awesome Urkainian dish, made of eggplants))) it looks like many small sandwiches)))

needed:

2-3 eggplants
6-8 tomatoes same diameter
mayonaise
garlic
salt
oil for frying
flour
parsley

Cut eggplants in discs around 0.5-1 cm thick(peel or don't peel - as you wish), rub them with salt and leave them for a while (to get rid of bitterness and make salty also)
prepare mixture of mayo and squeezed garlic - 200ml must be enough, cut tomatoes horizontaly into discs, prepare a wide flat dish, put frying pan with oil on fire.
Roll eggplants in flour and fry them on both sides. they become brownish pretty fast, so you can either take a helper or fry them all at first and then come to the next stage:
put one eggplant disc, pour some sause on it, 0.5 tablespoon, then a tomato disc, then sause, then again as high as you wish. Last is a drop of sause on tomato decorated with a leave of parsley .For comfort eating 2-3 rows of eggplant+tomato are enough)))
You can make then firm with sticks also.
Optional - rubbed cheese in the sause
I dunno what sause was there originally, may be dense cream, but with mayo it's quite fine)))
Greetings from St.Pete

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2013, 00:27:54 »
I just saw a tasty and simple lunchtime meal that I would like to share! :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/jalapeno-popper-grilled-cheese-recipe/index.html

Grazia Offline ru

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2013, 10:21:18 »
Nastya very easy to cook indeed! Should keep in mind, I like when the food is easy xD

What about the easy food for a holiday dinner - there's an awesome recipe of potatoes under cheese, with meat, unfortunately I have no photo even in the internet.

Needed

0.5 kg pork (better take meat near tube bone but no fat)
0.5 kg peeled potatoes
500-700 ml sour cream
300-500 gr of cheese (consistence like maasdam, Edam etc. - not very soft)
Salt, pepper

Turn on the oven and make temperature around 180-200 C
Cut meat and potatoes into thin long slices - 1x5cm and 0.5 cm thick.
Mix them in a big bowl, add sour cream, mix, salt and pepper, mix again very thoroughly, and spread along a flat wide dish for baking, wiped with oil, where you bake cookies for example but take the one a bit deeper if possible because juice may come out and overfill it. To make the after-washing easier I cut a baking sleeve and put it on the bottom.
Cover the entire thing with rubbed cheese and put in the stove for 2 hours +- 20 min
Depends on the potatoes, meat is ready pretty fast. The cheese topping becomes golden-brownish.

You can try pre-fried mushrooms and onions instead of meat, very tasty too!
Serve gently cutting with spatula, adding sliced tomatoes)))
Greetings from St.Pete

• Major Forenfreak
  • Minister of dance
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2013, 18:36:17 »
Olga, thank you for the vegetarian dish! I'll try it on day (have saved it on my PC). I have already seen it some days ago, but obviously forgot to comment! :)

And here come my greetings to all of you from my table where I am enjoying Meli's Gratin de carottes right now!
I really like it! And after I was already very much worried about my bechamel sauce, it turned out to be the best one I made in my life, I think ;D!
About the recipe, I changed it a little bit: used about 7 carrots and less milk and for the next time I think about vegetable stock (from cubes) instead of salt, but maybe this is also because I used Gouda, which tastes not very strong.

And guess what: I think I can eat the whole gratin for one meal: with these 7 huge carrots!  :o 8)(But I use it for the main dish)

Grazia Offline ru

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2013, 22:00:28 »
I've found this interesting recipe, i wonder whether anyone ever cooked this carrot cake, sounds really tasty http://www.skargardssmak.com/text3.con?art_id=134
I know a liver cake but this one is something new for me, should try asap, an interesting garnish it should be )))
Greetings from St.Pete