Author Topic: cooking/ kochen  (Read 21742 times)

jenny-jen Offline de

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Minister Of Smile
cooking/ kochen
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2011, 17:59:15 »
Quote from: "Kitty"
no, I share a kitchen with four hotplates, an oven and a microwave and one freezer (for 20 people =_=) with an entire stock of the building, that's why it mostly needs to go quick. So rather small if you realise most people eat at the same time and cooking a meal takes rather often 15-20 minutes and up to an hour when you cook dignant.

Ohhh :shock: That sucks... well... hmmm...... I have no idea :D You could cook with someone else? So you have more time or rather you are faster with more persons and you have not the problem with the one-person-meal. ;)

Yeah, I had something in mind like that as well :) and on Sunday I'll make myself baked eggs with raw vegetables and a piece of bread xD inventive or? hahahaha :D but tomorrow I'll cook properly :) with fresh vegetables I'll make a kind of spaghetti sauce and eat spaghetti ... I eat more pasta than anything else =_= not healthy for the stomach, I need diversity. But well :D I'll maybe take a look at that website you put here :) who knows ^^

:D
It's indeed not the healthiest meal :D Well, the website is really cool. I often have no idea and type in just the things I have here and voilà, there is a meal :D
*** Minister Of Smile ***

jenny-jen Offline de

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Minister Of Smile
cooking/ kochen
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2011, 19:45:27 »
Till some weeks ago my favorite pizza was pizza Hawaii :D Well, then I went (the first time :oops: ) to Pizza Hut (in Poland) and I ordered a Texas pizza... Now this kind of pizza is my favorite one and I already tried to make that myself (again today) because I didn't find that pizza in supermarket or another restaurant in Germany :x Of course it's not the same but well, it's a trial :D

you need:

- 1 pizza dough (I tried it but well... I better buy convenience dough *angel eyes*)
- 1 turkey breast
- 1-2 onion
- maize
- BBQ-Sauce
- cheese, Mozzarella

First I marinate the meat with a BBQ-marinade - but you don't have to. For that I use onions, garlic, ketchup, a bit BBQ-sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, a bit cinnamon, sugar (or honey), salt, pepper and everything what I have here at home and what is useful.^^ Waiting....waiting
Then you broil the meat. Meanwhile you prepare your dough and put it in a greased baking tray. First you put some BBQ-sauce, onions in rings, pieces of the meat, some maize and the cheese on the dough. At the end you use again some BBQ-sauce. Finally you bake it in the oven.

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
cooking/ kochen
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2011, 14:17:30 »
so after some acclimatisation to my solo-life ... I started to search the internet and found some interesting things, of which I made my own version... very easy, pretty quick and veeeeeery tasty :)

for one person you need:
1-2 carrots(depending on how big they are and how much you eat)
1 paprika
tinned pineapple in small pieces/slices (some of the juice as well)
100gram of chicken breast or other poultry
rice (again as much as you eat yourself, I use a small cup to meassure it)
some olive oil
some pepper
some other herbs (like thyme or basilicum)

You start with chop all your vegetables into small pieces
chop the chicken
put your water for the rice on the fire to make it boil
warm up the olive oil and put the carrots in it, put the cover on the pan let it do for some minutes. Put then the paprika in it as well stir a bit and put the cover back on. Start boiling the rice (well depends on the rice, look on the package how long it needs to boil normally, mine takes 13 minutes so). Put the chicken with the paprika and the carrots and put some pepper and beloved herbs on it. Stir well and put the cover back on the pan. Make sure you stir ones a while, to avoid the poultry/chicken from burning in the pan. Put the pineapple in the mixture vegatables and chicken and stir a bit also pour a bit of the juice in it if you like the sweet taste in your dishes otherwise you can leave it out, it makes the dish a bit more juicy as well but it's just like you wish. When the rice is ok, pour the water away and put the rice in the pan with the meat and vegetables, stir a bit, leave it under cover for another minute ...et voilà...bon appetite :) a healthy, good looking and good tasting dish :)
When you can dream it, you can do it!

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
cooking/ kochen
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2011, 20:12:11 »
So the recepy I found for the gebrannte Mandeln (literary translation would be burned almonds  :lol: but they're actually just caramelised almonds with cinamon)

You take:
200g almonds (complete almonds)
4 spoons (soup spoons that is) of sugar (brown or white)
4 spoons (soup) of water
a teaspoon of cinamon

Do everything in a bowl for the microwave (see below if you don't have a microwave) put it on highest mode for 2 minutes, stirr (preferably with a wooden spoon). Put it again 2 minutes in the microwave and stirr you'll see that the almonds are shiny from the sugar now, after this you put it back another 2 minutes in the microwave and you'll find a mess  :lol:  :lol: a boiled/caramelised stuff ... you put well I did it on aluminium foil but they told to do it on baking paper (against the sticking I suppose) so you spread them out of it ... make sure you have enough space...now comes the tricky thing hahah xD take two spoons and try to get them separated as much as possible. let them cool down and if you don't eat them right away save them in an airtight tin box...in any case away from the air :D

Without a microwave:
I think (but am not sure) you can use the same ingredients and bring it to cooking point. I was told that first you'll see the water disappear and the sugar turn to white again. Then the sugar will melt again (and you should turn the heather lower) and you should stirr stirr stirr until you get a sticky mass of almonds (which you get after the third time in the microwave) the only tricky thing is if you let the fire stand too high the sugar will burn instead of caramelize. After this it's the same. You put everything on baking paper and separate the almonds let them cool down and put in an airfree something to keep them :) or else eat :)

This was my result with the microwave:

jenny-jen Offline de

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Minister Of Smile
cooking/ kochen
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2011, 21:09:01 »
Kitty: I said that I usually don't like them very much but yours were sooo good!!! :) I will try them soon I think :) Thanks for the recipe :)

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
cooking/ kochen
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2011, 21:14:50 »
Quote from: "jenny-jen"
Kitty: I said that I usually don't like them very much but yours were sooo good!!! :) I will try them soon I think :) Thanks for the recipe :)

thanks :) happy you liked them! :) I could have easily given you something to Stuttgart, only thought of that when you were already gone ...
I still have massive amounts of popcorn  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

jenny-jen Offline de

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Minister Of Smile
cooking/ kochen
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2011, 21:17:45 »
Quote from: "Kitty"

I still have massive amounts of popcorn  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  I can imagine :lol: You could take them to another cinema visit :lol:
And don't worry about the Mandeln ;) Now I have the motivation to make them myself :D

jenny-jen Offline de

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Minister Of Smile
cooking/ kochen
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2011, 09:56:43 »
Yesterday I bought a dragon fruit - I never tried it and I love it to buy exotic fruits. Now I wonder how it is in other countries? I mean, in Germany you usually buy apples, bananas, grapes, oranges, pears and maybe - sometimes - pineapples or melons. I'm very happy when I see something different and yesterday I saw that colorful fruit.

Now I want to know if you also have "standard" fruits in your country? And do you like to buy exotic ones? And what do you do with them? :D

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
cooking/ kochen
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2011, 10:32:45 »
mmmm...yes you can buy them from time to time here as well :) I love lychees a loooooooooot! I just eat them like that... the only fruit I sometimes use in dishes is pineapple ... with chicken :)

Donno if we have typical fruits in Belgium ... I'll take a look :)

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
cooking/ kochen
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 11:41:21 »
I made an easy yet very lovely recepy yesterday: Chicken with cocos-cury sauce, pineapple and rice.

Needed:
- one chicken breast
- onion
- pineapple (4 slices)
- cocosmilk (normally one small tin)
- rice
- chicken spices
- curry spices
- pepper
- Coriander

You start with slicing the chicken in pieces, spices it with the chicken spices and bake them in a deep pan (or wok-pan). cut the onion in small pieces and add to the chicken, let it fruit 2-3 minutes along with the chicken. In the meantime take care that you boil the rice on time (follow the package indications for it). Then add the pineapple (in little pieces) and the cocosmilk, the curry spices (in the recepy they said one spoon, but I just did it by feeling and tasted) add pepper and a little bit of coriander. Let it all boil a bit, when the rice is ready add to the chicken and curry sauce and have a good meal!

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
Antw:cooking/ kochen
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2012, 14:02:20 »
As we had too much cocos-rasp my mother asked me to do something with it...since I got three cookie-boxes for my birthday I thought right away of these coconut rocks which are my dads favourites :D I started with a scared heart, but in fact it's as easy as a children's game.

Needed:
300gr coconut rasped (here in Belgium we buy it in packages)
300gr granulated sugar
175 gr white of egg (about 6 eggs)
1/2 vanilla pod (you need to scratch out the seeds)

Put the oven on 180° so that it's warm by the time you need to place the rocks in the oven, take out the baking plate beforehand. You start with the sugar and the egg, you stirr it well so that it becomes a sticky mess. You take half of the vanilla pod, cut this half in half so that you get access to the seeds, scratch it out with a knife above the sugar/egg mixture add the coconut rasp and stir it all. Let this mixture rest a couple of minutes whilst you prepare for making the rocks. You put baking paper on the plate, take two spoons if you don't want to be all sticky in the end by making rocks with your hands xD (yes I tried) if the mixture rested a couple of minutes you can start making balls...about 12 in a go, make sure they have enough space! because they grow wider during baking and only grow hard and steady when they're cold again so it's difficult to deattach them if they found each other in the oven. I made about 50 (with tasting) coockies. They need to stay in the oven around 10 -12 minutes, so put the alarm at 10 minutes and from then on keep an eye on them because in the last seconds things go very quickly! when they're nice light brown you can take them out of the oven, let them on the baking plate a few secs and then take them CAREFULLY off and place them where they can cool down...don't put them in a box before they're hard and steady.

Enjoy :)

hakunamatata Offline

• just registered
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2012, 18:33:05 »
As much as I love cooking, I somehow never find the time to go shopping for the right things. In the end I always end up ordering from foodarena or something. Any tips on how to handle the load? Because that looked too delicious.

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2012, 18:59:52 »
As much as I love cooking, I somehow never find the time to go shopping for the right things. In the end I always end up ordering from foodarena or something. Any tips on how to handle the load? Because that looked too delicious.

pity there...but a recognisable problem... well seeing that for my big grocceries I had to walk quite a distance in Innsbruck and I already got strange looks when I crossed the roads with my heavy bags :D I learned to keep some basic things in the house... That's like of course different kinda pasta's (as that's usually quite long time ok to keep specially if you buy glasboxes to keep once opened the package), potatoes, rice... keep some chicken/minced meat/fish if you like in the freezer (and make sure no neighbours steel them, in my case I lost my chicken in the dormitory =_=) or any kinda meat which doesn't lose taste in the freezer you like and you can use in different recepies. I also always had (and now that they have it cut in slices in the freezers in Belgium certainly that is SO handy and somehow nothing changed the taste) some bell peppers at home you only gotta make sure to eat them within a week. And some saucages, in my case it were Frankfurter Würstel :) as it's also yummy in some pasta/vegetablesauce (that were my quick recepies) ...well personal tast of course but if it had to go quick I usually took those instead of meat from my freezer. And then also herbs of course, regular once, pepper, salt, Curry, Oregano, Provincial mix, Basil, Thymus, paprika and oil to bake I never used butter.
Something I also like making is Chili Con Carne, because I could make it inbetween, it needs to stand on the fire quite some time, the longer the better actually seeing the tastes combine more that way :) in case you work/study from home that is of course in my case it was during translating :)
What I then did was deciding the weekend what I wanted to eat during the week, try to find some recepies for which I had the basics already at home and then get my specific stuff on Monday, it wasn't Monday I'm sure, guess it was more Tuesday as then I had a free moment I believe but anyway, you can do it whenever you want in the week really, just make sure you're aware which things last the longest and which you need to eat within for example two days. In that way, I spared shopping time, load time (no strange looks on the street) and I spared money for some reason because of using a lot of basic ingredients I guess. 

Hope that was a bit an answer to your question, when not feel free to shoot ... But when you love cooking you should find a solution to that ;) besides, what you make yourself always tastes better so :D

edit: just as I was in a rush to dinnertable before hehehe :D never heard of Foodarena before so curious as I am I took a look at the link and that seems like ... too much choice :D is it good food?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 19:51:27 by Kitty »

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2012, 19:11:42 »
Jenny Could you somehow give me the recepy (or link to) from the Spätzle you made? I tried to find it on the internet but couldn't find it and i want to make it  :D was yummy!

NuWoLa Offline mx

• Forenfreak
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2012, 01:41:15 »

Now I want to know if you also have "standard" fruits in your country? And do you like to buy exotic ones? And what do you do with them? :D

I love this fruit, I know it as "pitahaya" hahaha my mom prepares a delicious drinks with it :9
Ich warte auf dich!