Author Topic: What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?  (Read 110150 times)

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
Antw:What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?
« Reply #675 on: September 27, 2014, 20:25:20 »
This time I wanted a historical novel. "The Sixth Wife" by  Jean Plaidy - it's about  Catherine Parr, the sixth wife (as you can guess) of Henry VIII, king of England. When choosing a book this time I wanted to read about several things -  about kings and court, about medieval time and woman's perspective. And I didn't mind all of this to be a work of fiction, I only wanted a good story! This book answers all these criteria...
I was a bit afraid that I might find a superficial women's novel, but it turned to be okay, from my point of view this book is quite good and readable if you enjoy the topic. Not really a love-novel as one can sometimes expect from a book describing a woman's life (although this topic is not ignored completely too), mainly it's about how the king's wife is afraid for her own head knowing the destiny of the previous five ones...

;D I like to switch topics when choosing another book to read...

Sunny Offline ua

• Forenmeister
« Reply #676 on: September 27, 2014, 22:32:22 »
Oh, a historical novel!.. May I advise one (or two  :) )? Not that it is new or rare or totally unknown... However, maybe to some it will be of any value.

It's a series "The Accursed Kings" by Maurice Druon. A real masterpiece, if you ask me. Seven novels united with one story, with the rule and fall of the direct line of the Capetian dynasty.
What can I say?
Thrilling, informative, exact.
Trilling, 'cause it is written in a light and simple way, with quite a few lines of love, and depicting endless intrigues of the court. A vast panorama of the French and English courts of the 1st half of the XIV century opens before your eyes as if you were really present there.
And informative, 'cause, even not noticing how, you come to know not only the imaginary line of human relations but also the political and economical background of the ruling time of 5 (even 6!) kings.
And exact. If you try to compare the whole story to the history as it was, you will find that Maurice Druon is as close to the reality as an author of a fiction novel can be.
As for me, I didn't read - I "gulped" all the series.
It's really worth of reading.

And one more - "The Devil" by Alfred Neumann.
It's just... different.
The novel is about the last years of Louis XI of France.
Well, it's not so close to the real history, it contains a few rather crude historical mistakes, it's not a "light" reading, it's more phychology than history... and so on and so forth.
Yet it IS worth of reading. Just because (I know I souldn't start a sentence this way  :) )I for one have never met such a great moral tension, such a sincere self-sacrifice, demanding nothing in return, in literature.
And (not to unveil the mystery  ;) ) I will tell only this: if you seek for a romantic novel, with a hero as a cornerstone - a hero you ever longed to be can despise-admire-misunderstand-believe at the very same time, you're on the right way.
Oh, yes, I've forgotten! The love story, interweaving into the whole plot, is among the most intricate, unbelievable - yet the truest depicted in literature.
... nothing ever comes of nothing - we pay a price for all our choices made © Sean Brennan

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #677 on: September 28, 2014, 08:40:20 »
Thanks a lot for the recommendation, I actually needed it! Because before that I was searching almost at random, because I didn't know what to begin with, what to search and where to look.  Now I know my further variants ;D They sound interesting, I think I will try them!

Sunny Offline ua

• Forenmeister
« Reply #678 on: September 28, 2014, 21:14:39 »
I'm very happy my small advice was of any interest to you  :) These are the best I could choose and really adore myself. Hope you'll enjoy them, too.
Btw, I've already found "The Sixth Wife". You see, I do love historical novels  ;)
... nothing ever comes of nothing - we pay a price for all our choices made © Sean Brennan

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #679 on: November 03, 2014, 04:04:32 »
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, it's just hi-la-ri-ous, splendid, awesome!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Never read fanfics before, but this one was recommended by my elder bro and other guys who graduated from my department, and now I see whyyyyyyyyyyyyy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D
It always looks like a straight line outside when everything is bent inside.

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #680 on: November 04, 2014, 05:08:38 »
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, it's just hi-la-ri-ous, splendid, awesome!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Never read fanfics before, but this one was recommended by my elder bro and other guys who graduated from my department, and now I see whyyyyyyyyyyyyy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D
and now I see that I'm a boring person that can't enjoy any light read for longer than ten chapters. :( I still recommend the book, but to me it became deeply unsatisfying. Sad but true.

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #681 on: November 04, 2014, 07:02:33 »
and now I see that I'm a boring person that can't enjoy any light read for longer than ten chapters. :( I still recommend the book, but to me it became deeply unsatisfying. Sad but true.
But then, this line really rang true. "Always questioning yourself, always taking another look at things you've always taken for granted," like having a Snitch in Quidditch, "and every time you change your mind, you change yourself."
Now back to changing myself...

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #682 on: November 13, 2014, 17:12:53 »
Just a moment ago I've finished "Salem's Lot" by Stephen King.
I wanted to try something form Stephen King since this author is so famous and I haven't read anything by him yet (to my shame). Usually I tend to be a bit skeptical to the authors that are "popular", until I read them - and I liked many of those. So I decided to give it a try. He wrote so many books, and I was quite lost... After all, I came across a book about vampires, and chose this "classical" topic for a start.

So, it is a sort of re-make of Dracula in the realities of a small American town of 70-s.
I started to really like the author because to my mind, he can write really well.
He described the short scenes of a usual life of the small town in such way that it was really catching - absolutely daily-life scenes, but I wanted to read more and more. Then, as the story unleashed itself, he could describe the feeling of fear and horror so well that I felt respect to this writer. There was no need to write about the rivers of blood - he could use smaller and subtler details.
So, this book is recommended for those of you who love vampire stories...

I would probably read more books from Stephen King, but again I am quite lost about which one...

Lessja Offline ru

• Master Forenkenner
  • Je cours. Tic et tac mécanique.
« Reply #683 on: November 13, 2014, 18:12:19 »
Asphodel, try The Dark Tower series)
It's kind of fantasy.
Starts with the book called The Gunslinger.
Cats like us got a whole 'nother scene/Our own little walk talk and song (c)

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #684 on: November 13, 2014, 22:15:11 »
It's kind of fantasy.

Thanks for the advice! I like fantasy as well. So maybe it would be a good choice!..

karinapinotti Offline br

• Major Forenfreak
  • Longing is the constant presence of someone absent
« Reply #685 on: November 13, 2014, 23:14:59 »
At the moment I'm reading a book called "Destiny Tortuous" (Destino Tortuoso)
A Brazilian writer named: Claudia Salviano Andrelo, inspired by the supernatural, especially vampires.

A bit of his biography: Passionate about Dracula she usually writes his poems and novels based on the pains of human nature, in cemeteries, where she spends hours almost daily.
After giving an extensive interview about his life, work and customs, Claudia became known nationally as "The blonde's Cemetery".

About the book.
In sixteenth-century France a child is born. The unforgiving cold tortured family that devoid of luxuries, but with strong hands to work. All that Edmond wanted was a son, a boy who helped him in hard work, but things do not always go as expected and his wife gives birth to little Eveline. Edmond good and honest man becomes vile and frightening, and making life hell for their families. Time passes and Eveline turns into a beautiful woman, good as a mother, loved by everyone except by his father and stepmother. Edmond and his new partner will do anything to see Eveline suffer, even marry her to a stranger for cash. Eveline always so generous and good will quietly endure all that his executioners will make it through? Or the experience will enlighten your mind bringing out all the grudges of the past?

However have not finished reading, but I'm really enjoying it. has some details that are not written in this small preview about the book, after the story has more suspense and adventure, and vampires.

President FanClube - www.lacrimaniacosbrasil.com.br

Lessja Offline ru

• Master Forenkenner
« Reply #686 on: November 14, 2014, 02:54:35 »
Thanks for the advice! I like fantasy as well. So maybe it would be a good choice!..
People usually like it)
I'm a big fan of mr. King. I used to have the whole collection of his books, so.. It's near&dear for me ^.^
He's not actually about vampires or monsters, he's about human's inner fears, psyche. He's great)

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #687 on: November 14, 2014, 11:25:47 »
He's not actually about vampires or monsters, he's about human's inner fears, psyche. He's great)
Yes! This is what is so great about him!

EkaterinaCat Offline ru

• First Forenmeister
« Reply #688 on: November 14, 2014, 11:38:09 »
It's kind of fantasy.

Oh, yeah, yeah ...
The Dark Tower. In my face you have found loyal fans of this series of books.
I remember some of the scenes from the book literally crossed my life.
I saw the Hunting Red Moon and The Way of the clouds in the sky.
I had a feeling of traveling on that terrible train and the empty city.
The book is really impressive.
I was so glad to some time ago that the announcement was made about the beginning of the filming of this book ... but now is not known.
Very sad. That would be cool.
“I'm no crazy, my reality is just different from yours.” Cheshire Cat

Lessja Offline ru

• Master Forenkenner
« Reply #689 on: November 14, 2014, 12:43:21 »

I remember some of the scenes from the book literally crossed my life.

;)
I'd even found the Hammarskjöld Plaza in New York and I had had a picture somewhere (don't know where it is now)...
It really gives the impression =)

Long days and pleasant nights, Sai :D