Author Topic: What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?  (Read 110135 times)

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
Antw:What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?
« Reply #660 on: February 10, 2014, 16:29:28 »
Finished "Psychotherapy in Practice" by V. Frankl, a really interesting description of both his Logotherapy and Medical Serving - the first being on the borderline between Medicine and Philosophy and the latter - between Medicine and Religion. I love his clinical stories, compassion and responsibility he's talking about: responsibility of a person to his/her life, responsibility of doctors to their patients, and compassion that doctors need in helping their patients - especially in dealing with lost people. Though I think such attitudes should be practiced by everyone, not only by doctors, but well... I'll start with myself, as usual  ;D Now, I'd love to find something about teens' psychology - since now I'm in the position of authority, I must be a proper role-model more than before. Should ask around a bit... Last year it was a really revealing experience - there are so many lost teens out there, they need so much support and understanding, or just - listening... I recall myself so vividly when deal with them, it's astonishing. Well, but this has nothing to do with the book  ;D I'm sorry for getting offtop yet again  ;) :D
It always looks like a straight line outside when everything is bent inside.

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #661 on: March 07, 2014, 11:57:35 »
Recently I've read two books about the explorers of the South Pole, written by themselves in the beginning of the XX century. No idea what pushed me to read about this topic, sometimes it happens to me that I suddenly have some interest in an unusual topic and want more info about it.

If you like to read about travels and discoveries, and also if you're interested in memoirs and autobiographies, you might be interested in these books too.

So, the two polar explorers - Amundsen (Norway) and Scott (England).

Amundsen's "The South Pole" is a very interesting book, not boring at all, it tells about the voyage to Antarctic, then how the author and his crew spent the Antarctic winter and of course their journey to the Pole, full of details about their daily lives (I was especially curious about that), their equipment, their transport - sleds pulled by dogs (they had more than 100 dogs with them)... I enjoyed the reading. Amundsen's manner of writing is quite straightforward and friendly - despite that he is not a writer but explorer on the first place.

And the book about Robert Scott's travel is strictly speaking not a book, but his diaries published after his death. He attempted his expedition the the South Pole almost simultaneously with Amundsen, but arrived to the destination point almost month later and unfortunately died with his people on their return journey from the Pole. This reading is of course not as easy as the previous book, especially the last part - diary of a person struggling with death. And in other parts there are quite many meteorological and other similar details that were not very interesting for me. Despite he was not the first to arrive to the Pole, Scott became a legend.

The story of these two explorers is interesting because you start to compare the two stories, the two ways, you start to think about their differences and destinies. And it was long-debated why one was success and the other one ended up in catastrophe.

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #662 on: March 21, 2014, 13:18:09 »

Right now - for fun - I'm reading the Irrational Bundle by Ariely - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-irrational-bundle-dan-ariely/1114763210?ean=9780062288745, based on his studies of irrationality and research on why do we behave the way we do. I find it wonderful :) ^^ Also he's lecturing at Coursera right now, and I recommend checking it out, it's very interesting ;) ^^
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 13:21:52 by WalkAbout »

Yasmin Nurmi Offline br

• Major Forenkenner
  • DAS HERZ IST MIR MEIN KOMPASS...
« Reply #663 on: March 24, 2014, 03:32:54 »
I finnished this book yesterday and IT'S VERY VERY COOL!!!
My book it's very different than how it was when I buy it hehehe
You will discover why  ;) hehehe
It's a kind of diary that everyday in every leaf, commands you to do something  :D
It was a great experience, only with your own book you can know how it is  ;D
When you buy it, you'll love it ^^

Lacrimaniacos Brazilian Fanclub Coordinator - http://lacrimaniacos.webs.com

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #664 on: March 28, 2014, 10:01:29 »
I am currently reading the book by professor Corey Olsen "Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien’s "The Hobbit"". It's sort of companion book for "the Hobbit", or maybe literature analysis, but it's written in normal, non-boring way, easy to read, and if you are into Tolkien you will like it. It tells about such things like characters' development, analysis of poetic fragments that usually get ignored by readers, tells a bit about Tolkien's work process on that book, etc...

LUSha Offline cn

• Forenfreak
« Reply #665 on: March 29, 2014, 14:43:54 »

Right now - for fun - I'm reading the Irrational Bundle by Ariely - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-irrational-bundle-dan-ariely/1114763210?ean=9780062288745, based on his studies of irrationality and research on why do we behave the way we do. I find it wonderful :) ^^ Also he's lecturing at Coursera right now, and I recommend checking it out, it's very interesting ;) ^^

I read his Predictably Irrational, The Hidden Forces that Shape Our Decisions. Talking about consume, very interesting book too and specially the research he did, looks like i can add this one to list.

Btw, i wanted to read "Brandwash", but after a few chapter of trial reading i find it quite plain...looks more of boasting than study...anyone knows this book and how is it?

Kunst und Lust folgen aus demselben Trieb ->Meine Lust

LUSha Offline cn

• Forenfreak
« Reply #666 on: March 29, 2014, 14:51:40 »
now almost finish reading Die Wahlverwandtschaften(Kindred by Choice), by Goethe

this is such a warm, comforting, deep and attractive novel, limited by its time and opinion of women but glitter with almost godlike careness to emotions, everytime when i read from Goethe i felt his warmth through the words and his sharp, but not aggressive observation of humankind, and most of what he wrote about human relation we can still see from today...i have stronger feeling, that i would like to compare Goethe with Tilo, of their warmth in artworks, care for humankind, attention to emotions, spiritual pursuit, (and their mutual hometown city lol)

i'll write something after finishing read

Sunny Offline ua

• Forenmeister
« Reply #667 on: April 04, 2014, 19:10:49 »
I am currently reading the book by professor Corey Olsen "Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien’s "The Hobbit"". It's sort of companion book for "the Hobbit", or maybe literature analysis, but it's written in normal, non-boring way, easy to read, and if you are into Tolkien you will like it. It tells about such things like characters' development, analysis of poetic fragments that usually get ignored by readers, tells a bit about Tolkien's work process on that book, etc...

Thank you very much, Julia! I've finally managed to find this book! I've never heard of it before, so it's my very lucky discovery  :) :) :)
... nothing ever comes of nothing - we pay a price for all our choices made © Sean Brennan

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #668 on: April 06, 2014, 19:15:24 »
Thank you very much, Julia! I've finally managed to find this book! I've never heard of it before, so it's my very lucky discovery  :) :) :)
hope you will find it good :)

Sunny Offline ua

• Forenmeister
« Reply #669 on: April 06, 2014, 19:37:29 »
Yes, I enjoy it greatly! I'm reading it right now.
... nothing ever comes of nothing - we pay a price for all our choices made © Sean Brennan

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #670 on: May 18, 2014, 10:39:12 »
I've read a book by Victor Frankl "Trotzdem Ja zum Leben sagen" ("Man's Search for Meaning"), it took me just one and a half days, so much it impressed me.
In general, it tells about how human should remain human even in the most un-human conditions...
The author, as a psychologist, describes his experience and observations about the people during the time he spend in concentration camps in WWII. He focuses more on the soul than on reality, but of course it cannot be avoided to mention some mundane horrors of their everyday life, what they had to live through... Actually, I suspect that he tells us a lot less realistic details than he can (that makes it even scarier), focusing on psychological details. And it's not theory, it's what he really saw and lived himself there... Not quite easy to read. But definitely worthy.
After such books you start to think again about what kind of life you have... Because here you could read about what is real unhappiness.

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #671 on: May 31, 2014, 09:21:15 »
So it happened that yesterday I gulped down a book by Eve Ehrhardt "Good Girls Go to Heaven, Bad Girls Go Everywhere"... I guess I needed that a lot. It hits way too close to home at times to be an easy read, yet it absorbs for the very same reason. If you are a girl you would instantly realise what it's about, from the first pages. And - yes - finally I can formulate a couple of things to myself. I strongly recommend it, that is...

LUSha Offline cn

• Forenfreak
« Reply #672 on: August 11, 2014, 22:46:52 »
finally reading The Restaurant at the End of the Universe friends recommended me long time ago...what does it do to me..?

i was laughing like insane..on U bahn and in the gym before course starts and people start to.... whats wrong with her ::)   ::)

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #673 on: August 20, 2014, 18:38:38 »
Aaaand again I was out of my scheduled reading and as a result ended up consuming 'One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich' by Solzhenitsyn. Well. Now I understand much better what it was like (will be like?..), why and how it works with people, and on people. I guess one day I will take these two books - Man's Search for Meaning and One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich - and make certain comparisons of attitudes and settings. I feel like it would be a worthwhile activity... Both authors of these books have been there, in these different, yet similar, camps. Camps. Such a neutral word for such a... oh well.  :-X

Now back to Dan Ariely's bundle.

Lue Sha
, I actually finished the first book, the one you read as well, quite some time ago, yet didn't have the time to write anything meaningful on the subject. So far I enjoy his researches (currently I'm nearing to the end of the second book), even though at times they seem having a bit obvious results, but then, what seems obvious can always turn out to be much less so, can't it?..  ;) :D When I finally finish the trilogy, I hope I would be able to write a more extensive and useful post. It takes long since I read it on my iPhone and only when I use public transportation, so...  ::) ;)

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #674 on: August 21, 2014, 20:05:02 »
I've read "The Woman in Black" by Susan Hill. It's a typical English ghost novel. This time I felt inclined to read a book of such genre and picked this one by random...
There is some kind of coziness in the traditionalism of such ghost stories, I don't know how to explain this... At the same time, it wasn't boring - many times when I read (or watch) a horror story or thriller, I can predict what is going to happen because all the tricks have already been tried by others and often clicheed... This time I couldn't guess all events. At the same time, it is still written strictly in its genre.
There is also a 2012 movie based on this book, with the same name, starring Daniel Radcliffe, but I didn't watch it so can't really say anything about it except that it exists.