Author Topic: What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?  (Read 110137 times)

Shadows-In-Twilight Offline si

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • ein blick - ein kuss und dann die ewigkeit
Antw:What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?
« Reply #630 on: February 10, 2013, 15:03:53 »
Klodi oh my god, those rules described there are really beastly and savage! there was the same in some Caucasian countries and I think still exists.

mhm, that sucks ... however, i didn't know about this in Caucasian countries, so what i said about not practicing Kanun anymore, was more or less about Albanians ... as for the book you read, it doesn't seem to be really interesting  ;D  might try to find "This is where i leave you" in our library though  :)

Klo, what a surprise ( and thinking twice, not quite a surprise, because it is you who read the book ) to read here about "Broken April"! I read it some years ago, but I still have in my eyes few images, just like from a movie, ... I still remember my thoughts and my feelings ...

then you know exactly what this book is about ... somehow i hoped Gjorg would manage to avoid the same destiny by hiding in a tower, but ... donno, when i read the last word of the story, i was starring at the book, quietly, so quietly one could actually hear a ghost passing by ... i was unable to think of anything else, really. it's a sad and tragic story indeed, but i really think it wouldn't have such a strong impact on me if i didn't have to face some things which have changed my life completely and forever ... *sighs*

don't know about the movie though, it's probably a good one, i haven't seen it myself, and i'm not sure if i even want to. why? i've heard the story was moved to Brazil or somewhere to Latin America, [can't remeber the country, lol], and this means it's probably changed to some point. i mean, i know no movie can strictly follow the book, but changing the country also means [maybe important] changes in the story. i wouldn't have troubles with this if i hadn't read the book, but ... i had, and then this bothers me, because i know what the original story is [and the language!!! i love the way albanian language sounds, eventhough i understand and can say only few words] *red face*  :-[  ;D  on the other hand, i'm afraid i won't be able to face those feelings again once it's over ...

[late edit: typo]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 19:29:29 by Shadows-In-Twilight »
all dogs are great, but mine is absolutely 100% the greatest dog who ever dogged!

A Elena Offline ro

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Ich warte auf dich ...
« Reply #631 on: February 10, 2013, 16:24:02 »
Klo, I haven't seen the movie either ... I was talking about the images I have in my mind... I don't know, but this is the way I function: in images... Poetry, music, books, even movies... they are all converted in my own images, like pictures in motions  :).
Well, I can tell you "Broken April" is extremely impressive by itself, and I can imagine how was for you, as you have such a special connection with its world!

somehow i hoped Gjorg would manage to avoid the same destiny by hiding in a tower, but ... donno, when i read the last word of the story, i was starring at the book, quietly, so quietly one could actually hear a ghost passing by ...

You know, there are about 15 years since I read the book, and there are days when I'm thinking about this tragic hero, with his crushed destiny... 18th of April, and May which will never come, and the outstanding image of the road, suddenly standing and hitting him straight in his face... These are some of the images I still have... 
Noch immer brennt in mir dein Licht

Shadows-In-Twilight Offline si

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • ein blick - ein kuss und dann die ewigkeit
« Reply #632 on: February 10, 2013, 16:38:47 »
Klo, I haven't seen the movie either ... I was talking about the images I have in my mind... I don't know, but this is the way I function: in images... Poetry, music, books, even movies... they are all converted in my own images, like pictures in motions  :).

sorry then, i read it too fast and therefore misunderstood  ;D 

You know, there are about 15 years since I read the book, and there are days when I'm thinking about this tragic hero, with his crushed destiny... 18th of April, and May which will never come, and the outstanding image of the road, suddenly standing and hitting him straight in his face... These are some of the images I still have...

exactly. and just those words the writer chose to describe it ... ouch ... the way the story ended somehow left a terrible void in me, probably because it was shown so ... cold. and cruel. as it, in fact, is ...

edit: typo, lol
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 19:32:21 by Shadows-In-Twilight »
all dogs are great, but mine is absolutely 100% the greatest dog who ever dogged!

LadyMalina Offline es

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Wyrd bið ful aræd
« Reply #633 on: April 08, 2013, 09:14:36 »
The book I just finished reading yesterday is "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Brontë. It is a real jewel fom the romantic literature of the 19th century. I dont have any time now to post a review or large impressions :/ I only can say that it has impressed me so much, how love and hate are closely related, how love can destroy people, and how a person can lead him/herself by revenge till the end.
†  Lady Malina †. Minister of Gothic Sensibility

MelissaFrance Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #634 on: April 08, 2013, 12:05:05 »
The book I just finished reading yesterday is "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Brontë. It is a real jewel fom the romantic literature of the 19th century. I dont have any time now to post a review or large impressions :/ I only can say that it has impressed me so much, how love and hate are closely related, how love can destroy people, and how a person can lead him/herself by revenge till the end.

Oh yes indeed, a very beautiful and dreadful story, i love it so much too. But well, i think that fortunately love isn't always so destructive. Still, it is so (even more?!) beautiful when it is...
LacriWelt Minister of Free Dance

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #635 on: April 08, 2013, 12:09:38 »
And i am reading a book by Kafka now in German, "Das Urteil" - but I am going veeery, veeery slowly - like a page per day because I am writing out and learning all the words that I don't know ;D

jenny-jen Offline de

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Minister Of Smile
« Reply #636 on: April 10, 2013, 21:42:14 »
I'm reading now "The Life of Pi" :)
*** Minister Of Smile ***

LadyMalina Offline es

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Wyrd bið ful aræd
« Reply #637 on: April 11, 2013, 12:11:18 »
Oh yes indeed, a very beautiful and dreadful story, i love it so much too. But well, i think that fortunately love isn't always so destructive. Still, it is so (even more?!) beautiful when it is...

I can't but agree ;)
†  Lady Malina †. Minister of Gothic Sensibility

Hanajash Offline ar

• Forenguru
  • Para desahogar el corazón...
« Reply #638 on: April 12, 2013, 03:55:15 »
This week I decided I'll read the books I rescued this summer. A lot of books were going to end in the garbage, and this guy was selling them at an incredibly low price. So I bought 34 of them, hheehee... Some of them I already had, so I have two edition of 4 or 5 books, which I'm giving away from time to time. The others, I began to read some weeks ago but, well, other books interfered (is that even a word?  :P).

This week I began again. First, it was two collections of short tales by J. G. Ballard, old school sci-fi writer.l And today (a few minutes ago), I began Deus Irae, by Roger Zelazny and Philip Dick. I'm not very fond of collaborations but... time will say.

How does make me feel? Very good, actually, really good. These poor books were abandoned and alone, and noone was going to read them, some of them were going to 'die' unread. They needed somebody to love them. And I do love them. I welcomed them in my bookshelves, found the right place for each of them, etc. And now they know hot it feels to be read.

Yes, it sounds like crazy talk, but that's how I feel about books.
Al na taakor natúa, al tishkaj et hatikváh... Hashiveni veashuba el haaretz hatováh...

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #639 on: April 12, 2013, 15:17:18 »
This week I decided I'll read the books I rescued this summer. A lot of books were going to end in the garbage, and this guy was selling them at an incredibly low price. So I bought 34 of them, hheehee... Some of them I already had, so I have two edition of 4 or 5 books, which I'm giving away from time to time. The others, I began to read some weeks ago but, well, other books interfered (is that even a word?  :P).

This week I began again. First, it was two collections of short tales by J. G. Ballard, old school sci-fi writer.l And today (a few minutes ago), I began Deus Irae, by Roger Zelazny and Philip Dick. I'm not very fond of collaborations but... time will say.

How does make me feel? Very good, actually, really good. These poor books were abandoned and alone, and noone was going to read them, some of them were going to 'die' unread. They needed somebody to love them. And I do love them. I welcomed them in my bookshelves, found the right place for each of them, etc. And now they know hot it feels to be read.

Yes, it sounds like crazy talk, but that's how I feel about books.

It's great that you resqued them...
I kinda share such attitude towards books... I can never throw one away, even when I know I won't ever re-read it and it is standing on my shelf taking space (and lack of space is an important issue when you're living in a small flat)... I tried to find a way to give them away instead of thrashing them, probably I have to go to the library with this issue...
Books were always my good friends, since childhood, and I cannot treat them like some soulless objects. They are some special kind of things.

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #640 on: April 12, 2013, 17:36:50 »
The first book (in what seems to be ages) in the Russian language that I read now that is not a textbook - M. Khodorkovskiy, N. Gevorkyan, Prison and Will. Makes me see things I've experienced in some ways (and were indirectly affected by) during my childhood and early adolescence - the famous Russian 90s - and much, much more. Lots of stuff I blindly relied upon started dissolving like early mist, which is good. As I've noticed you consider things to be easy only when you don't understand them deep enough, at least that surely works in administration. Inspiring, thought-provoking, scary. Not concise, but precise enough to develop a vivid picture of the Khodorkovsliy-related issues and Russian politics.

It always looks like a straight line outside when everything is bent inside.

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #641 on: April 16, 2013, 21:55:19 »
I am reading one more book now, but didn't even reach a middle yet. First I learned the real story on which it is based and then searched for that book, and I am not disappointed. Perhaps it may interest some of you too, because the story is real and not fictional. The book is "The minds of Billy Milligan" by Daniel Keyes. It's about a man with multiple personality disorder. There are 24 separate personalities living in him, all of them very different, they have unique characters, making unique decisions and even interacting with each other... It is not a horror-story, although it is of course not happy, but it is written not to cause fear or anything like that, it rather leaves me wondering about all the things that can exist on this earth, even 24 personalities in one person...

LUSha Offline cn

• Forenfreak
« Reply #642 on: April 22, 2013, 22:38:35 »
2 books I finished recently and meanwhile find massive and impressive

1. The Second Sex -  Simone de Beauvoir
I always had some doubts pressuring down from family and society but after reading this one, all my questions related to are solved and cleared up, and pressures are gone and things i used to overvalued now back to their normal status, I could only say I have no doubts and no more frustrations because of it therefore I'm thankful.

2. Kritik der Urteilskraft - Kant
actually in the very beginning I wanted to read Worringer's works, and then following a list of recommendations i start to read this one, like Faust from Goethe, if not out of total coincidence i would not dare to read it, but i find it, so begeistert, clean logic, interesting examples, and insightful comments if I would compare Goethe as a spy of humanity and human emotions, Kant then is a spy of human brains and way of thinking, he can follow every micro lines of thoughts and He's like a spider on the web and can feel vibrations of nervsystem in brain from all directions! This one is interesting to me because I always want to know how people feel beauty and how different aethetic tastes influence each other, in this book I find reasonable explainations.
Kunst und Lust folgen aus demselben Trieb ->Meine Lust

Offline cn

• Forenkenner First Class
« Reply #643 on: May 24, 2013, 17:11:48 »
The Short Story Collection of Italo Calvino- i love the work of Calvino, but the translation is not quite satisfied. Reading his stories release me from schoolwork and it's a big pleasure for me to read it before sleep.

Medieval Europe: A Short History- i am thinking about choosing history as my major in my university, so i am doing some previews for my furture study..... i thought the book would be boring and hard to understand at first( cuase it's a gaint book that looks like a textbook), yet i was surprised when i found that  it contains many interesting facts and the language is clear and easy to understand

JaimeWolff Offline mx

• Master Forenkenner
  • Der kelch des Leben
« Reply #644 on: May 25, 2013, 06:25:15 »
I was Franc-mason - Maurice Caillet
A society who fights their wars with ideas and information instead swords and iron... That's my idea