Author Topic: What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?  (Read 110144 times)

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?
« Reply #615 on: August 29, 2011, 21:28:23 »
I decided to exchange books for school for a relaxing story-book ... I know I'm probably making the biggest mistake in my life... but I just need to find out whether I can still simply relax and think of nothing.
So I followed the advice of my buddy and went to the library to borrow "Ungeduld des Herzens" from Stefan Zweig (I actually wanted "Geschichte in der Dämmerung" but they didn't have it but... I ended up on page 61 on 4 hours... I think I pretty much like the writing style...and the story kinda absorbs me. I really forgot how cosy reading a book can be in the busy digital computer life I had. So I'm gonna be stubborn, ok study a bit from tomorrow onwards again but I'll end the day reading the book... I have that very excited eager feeling to read on again, I haven't had it since long... so yes... I recommend it :) it's an Austrian writer (fits :D) but most of his books are translated.
When you can dream it, you can do it!

A Elena Offline ro

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Ich warte auf dich ...
« Reply #616 on: August 30, 2011, 19:35:18 »
I've just read Gerald's Game by Stephen King. I need more!!!!!

But... now I'm reading Lord of the Flies  by William Golding.
Noch immer brennt in mir dein Licht

on_my_own_sky Offline ru

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #617 on: September 25, 2011, 18:00:49 »
after StPete's trip I felt a strong desire to read smth about history of Russia of 17th-18th centuries...so I downloaded a story called "The Romanovs" in...17 books  :lol:  SO interesting!! I can't stop to read, besides I now can imagine their 'houses' hehe
so, now I am a historical bookworm  :lol:
~Minister of Optimism~

Maria777 Offline

• Forenfreak
« Reply #618 on: September 25, 2011, 18:12:15 »
Quote from: "Saapuva Komeetta"

Better than Potter/Lord of the Rings or any Fantasy Books...  ;)

wiiiii! My favorite book! I love it very much!

Now I read Chuck Palahniuk, "Choke." A kind of literature, I say.
 :roll:

A Elena Offline ro

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Ich warte auf dich ...
« Reply #619 on: September 25, 2011, 18:30:14 »
I've just finished an incredible book: "Sange satanic" ( Satanic blood - in English - ) by Cristina Nemerovschi. This book is one of a kind in Romanian literature, in a way ( because of the main character ), it is an unexpected poem of iconoclasm, forcing the reader to take a deep look inside...

« Reply #620 on: September 25, 2011, 18:36:28 »
I am currently reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It's a very visual story. I could see this being a movie.

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #621 on: September 26, 2011, 19:21:02 »
Now I am reading Ann Radcliffe, and have to say that i am a bit disappointed... the charachters seem unnatural to me, I cannot get drowned in this book. For example, they start to weep too often, almost on every page. They are too stereotypically good and bad... Perhaps I still didn't reach the main parts of the plot.

A Elena Offline ro

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Ich warte auf dich ...
« Reply #622 on: September 26, 2011, 19:29:50 »
Do you mean that Ann Radcliffe, the English Gothic novelist?

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #623 on: September 26, 2011, 19:36:41 »
Quote from: "A Elena"
Do you mean that Ann Radcliffe, the English Gothic novelist?

yeah, exactly! but I never read her before, and I'm still at the beginning of the book. "The mysteries of Udolpho" must be the English name for the book I am reading.

A Elena Offline ro

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Ich warte auf dich ...
« Reply #624 on: September 26, 2011, 19:49:14 »
I see... I haven't read any text of her, but I can tell you the English Gothic novels from that period seem to be strange to me too: you said "unnatural" - that's a good word to describe the feeling ( I remember me reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein )... But I also can tell you that it is a problem related with our expectations... We are not used with the conventions of the age, not to talk about the fact that they were beginners...

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #625 on: September 26, 2011, 19:56:10 »
Quote from: "A Elena"
I see... I haven't read any text of her, but I can tell you the English Gothic novels from that period seem to be strange to me too: you said "unnatural" - that's a good word to describe the feeling ( I remember me reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein )... But I also can tell you that it is a problem related with our expectations... We are not used with the conventions of the age, not to talk about the fact that they were beginners...

that's totally what i thought too! these books came from past centuries...
For example I felt so awkward about the role of a girl in romance - a walk in park with a young man could be seen as almost an obscenity if there were no relatives around, things like this...
But anyway, the characters are obviously idealized.

I read Frankenstein long ago, not after you mentioned it I understood that I had the same kind of impression from it as well.

A Elena Offline ro

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Ich warte auf dich ...
« Reply #626 on: September 26, 2011, 20:06:51 »
Right... the characters are idealized, maybe even linear ... but the focus is on the occurrence of supernatural...
I hope you will finally enjoy the reading!

Shadows-In-Twilight Offline si

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • ein blick - ein kuss und dann die ewigkeit
Antw:What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?
« Reply #627 on: February 08, 2013, 21:49:50 »
*coughs* someone decided to bring this topic back to life  :)  i hope you don't mind it  :) 

so, as much as i hated books and all the crap connected to it, i'm starting to discover the special world between the pages again  :)  at the moment i'm reading Broken April by an albanian writer Ismail Kadare ... the story is about the cruel and complicated law, Kanun, which is, in the north of Albania, the only law [and also above any other law].

Publisher's write-up
From the moment that Gjorg's brother is killed by a neighbour, his own life is forfeit: for the code of Kanun requires Gjorg to kill his brother's murderer and then in turn be hunted down. After shooting his brother's killer [much against his will], young Gjorg is entitled to thirty days' grace - not enough to see out the month of April. Then a visiting honeymoon couple cross the path of the fugitive. The bride's heart goes out to Gjorg, and even these 'civilised' strangers from the city risk becoming embroiled in the fatal mechanism of vendetta.

While the story is set in the early twentieth century, life on the high plateaus of Albania takes life back to the Dark Ages. The bloody shirt of the latest victim is hung up by the bereaved for all to see - until the avenger in turn kills his man with a rifle shot. For the young bride, the shock of this unending cycle of obligatory murder is devastating. The horror becomes personified when she catches a glimpse of Gjorg as he wanders about the countryside, waiting for the truce of thirty days to end, and life with it. That momentary vision of the hapless murderer provokes in her a violent act of revulsion and contrition. Her life will be marked by it always.

however, nowadays hardly anyone [if anyone at all] still practices this cruelty. the sad thing is people now use blood vengeance and Kanun as an excuse for their random killing ...

the story really touched me, especially because of some things and people i met in my life and whom i'll never forget. it helped me understand few things and i'm really grateful for this. however, to me, "the bloody part" of Kanun remains the worst shit humanity could ever come up with.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 00:36:36 by Shadows-In-Twilight »
all dogs are great, but mine is absolutely 100% the greatest dog who ever dogged!

Grazia Offline ru

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Make love not war (c) Gershon Legman
« Reply #628 on: February 08, 2013, 23:41:52 »
Klodi oh my god, those rules described there are really beastly and savage! there was the same in some Caucasian countries and I think still exists.

the last book I tried was terrible (I should have suspected that "jazz improviseation in telling" would mean impossible to read, f.cking hipster shit! >< even crappy 50 shades of grey were more organic) so I tell the last book I liked, it was this awesome novel, and in Russian translation too - дальше живите сами. Me gusta and advises

Greetings from St.Pete

A Elena Offline ro

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Ich warte auf dich ...
« Reply #629 on: February 10, 2013, 13:57:00 »
Klo, what a surprise ( and thinking twice, not quite a surprise, because it is you who read the book ) to read here about "Broken April"! I read it some years ago, but I still have in my eyes few images, just like from a movie, ... I still remember my thoughts and my feelings ...