Author Topic: What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?  (Read 100418 times)

Lessja Offline ru

• Master Forenkenner
  • Je cours. Tic et tac mécanique.
Antw:What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?
« Reply #690 on: November 14, 2014, 13:06:18 »
upd))

And would you believe... I immediately decided to find those pictures and found the CD and reсalled that that evening when I went to search for this building I was walking through the NY streets and one of the flower salesman on the street called me, asked me if I was russian and gave me a ROSE. A beautiful scarlet rose.
So I first made no reckoning of it and right around the corner I found my Dark Tower! And I had a symbol of it in my hand.

mysticism...  :P
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 13:08:00 by Lessja »
Cats like us got a whole 'nother scene/Our own little walk talk and song (c)

EkaterinaCat Offline ru

• First Forenmeister
« Reply #691 on: November 14, 2014, 13:11:14 »
;)
I'd even found the Hammarskjöld Plaza in New York and I had had a picture somewhere (don't know where it is now)...
It really gives the impression =)

Long days and pleasant nights, Sai :D

And may you have twice the number
;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 13:14:47 by EkaterinaCat »
“I'm no crazy, my reality is just different from yours.” Cheshire Cat

EkaterinaCat Offline ru

• First Forenmeister
« Reply #692 on: November 14, 2014, 13:13:49 »
upd))

And would you believe... I immediately decided to find those pictures and found the CD and reсalled that that evening when I went to search for this building I was walking through the NY streets and one of the flower salesman on the street called me, asked me if I was russian and gave me a ROSE. A beautiful scarlet rose.
So I first made no reckoning of it and right around the corner I found my Dark Tower! And I had a symbol of it in my hand.

mysticism...  :P

This is cool! I understand what you feel.

Lessja Offline ru

• Master Forenkenner
  • Je cours. Tic et tac mécanique.
« Reply #693 on: November 14, 2014, 13:16:52 »
This is cool! I understand what you feel.

I'm sure) And how great should his talent be to arrange such things)
So I hope this will push Asfodel to the right decision  ;D
Cats like us got a whole 'nother scene/Our own little walk talk and song (c)

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #694 on: November 14, 2014, 13:28:33 »
ok ok, I am totally convinced now ;D

EkaterinaCat Offline ru

• First Forenmeister
« Reply #695 on: November 14, 2014, 13:39:58 »
I'm sure) And how great should his talent be to arrange such things)
So I hope this will push Asfodel to the right decision  ;D

Then I suggest also mention about riddles that was asked when traveling by train. They are original enough I think.  ;D

ok ok, I am totally convinced now ;D

Oh, cool! Mission Possible!  ;D

Sunny Offline ua

• Forenmeister
« Reply #696 on: November 14, 2014, 21:29:44 »
I'd like to mention a book I bought occasionally, just to read something new...
Oh, well, it's "The Aachen Memorandum".
It turned out to be a real turn-to-leaf reading. Not revealing its secrets to the very last page. Kind of a thrilling detective story.
Yet the main thing is that this book is an anti-utopia. And although it differs a lot from "We" by Eugen Zamyatin, it still is worth of being read. Behind all the detective plot there is an essential line of the consequences the European Union (or wouldn't it be more proper to say "any country"?) may have crossing the border where exaggeration becomes grotesque.
For me this book bought by chance turned out to be of the kind I come across rarely: the one you pity of coming to the end. I don't know, if I ever will re-read it, yet I deffinitely know that reading it was not a mere loss of time.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 21:31:19 by Sunny »
... nothing ever comes of nothing - we pay a price for all our choices made © Sean Brennan

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #697 on: January 27, 2015, 15:04:19 »
One more book review from me ;D This time I went to classical literature.

I've just finished reading "The Count of Monte-Cristo" by Dumas... Read it already many years ago and already forgot almost everything, so it was interesting to re-read.

I think everybody knows the basic storyline - innocent person thrown to the prison, escapes, gets rich and begins vengeance... This story is a classic. But I forgot all the details of what was happening after the escape, so I read it again.

So - SPOILERS, don't look here if you want to read the book.

Of course, Monte-Cristo is a very charismatic character. You are quite enchanted by his personality while reading. But after I closed the book, I began to understand that I don't approve of what he was doing. Ok, the topic of revenge is arguable in general and in different cultures the attitude to it is different... But in my personal view, what he did to his offenders was not equal to what they did to him. His revenge would be adequate (not talking about acceptability of revenge as a phenomenon in general now), if he harmed only the offenders, personally - let's say, if he throws them to prison like they did to him. But no - their families are affected. In fact, he ruined the life of his former beloved as well because of successful revenge to her husband. He indirectly kills the entire family of another offender, and this family had just one sin - being related to the offender! (He gave poison recipe to his wife who became a criminal and poisoned all)... It was made in order to hurt his enemy as much as he could.
And the third offender, who was the most disgusting to me, he forgives at the end.  :-\ (I'm a bit disappointed because that one was the ugliest one, and others got greater harm...)
And finally, he deliberately makes his friend suffer for a whole month before revealing him that his beloved is not dead at all! And he simply wanted him to suffer in order to check if he "deserves" the happiness. I was a bit shocked by this.

Here I wrote my points of disagreement, so to say... I might sound irritated but it is not so. I enjoyed reading, it's a great book and it's very good that it makes one think about what is acceptable or not, how you yourself would act in such situations and what you agree or disagree with.
I think everybody should read this, it would be interesting to anyone.

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #698 on: July 06, 2015, 20:43:07 »
Just finished reading "The War Of The Worlds" by H. Wells.
This book showed me one big thing. (One may think it's simple, but sometimes you need to be shown something in order to feel it...)
It's about the Martians' invasion to the earth... But actually it's about humans that I learned something...
I can't say that I like people in general. I like individuals, but the crowd and the society - I never liked them... This book showed the pictures of the destruction of people's society. And I started to understand, that we all depend upon each other. Everyone. Even if some people don't accept you, don't understand you and think totally different than you - we are all parts of the society and I started to appreciate that,,,
When you are annoyed by people - just imagine, what if you are alone and all of them disappear forever... You just won't live long. There will be no food, no news, no company, no concerts, nothing at all

EkaterinaCat Offline ru

• First Forenmeister
« Reply #699 on: July 18, 2015, 19:59:24 »
Now I read the second time ... The Dream Master, is a science-fiction novel by Roger Zelazny.

I read this book for a long time and now I have only vague memories.
I remembered about this book because the last time I have a very colorful and vivid dreams.

And probably every one of us has ever thought about how to have a dream according to their desires.
I think it's good and bad at the same time.
Good - because it can help unhappy people to find some happiness.
But it is bad because it is a sure way to lose touch with reality. Because in a dream too well.

For me it is an interesting book, and it is actual in our time, although it was written in 1966.

Arkana Offline ru

• Major Forenfreak
  • Be relentless
« Reply #700 on: July 19, 2015, 15:37:11 »
I've started to read Terry Pratchett with Mort!

Very good and funny book. I like the idea of world construction by Terry Pratchett, but people living in this world are totally ordinary, and sometimes you start to know yourself in them... Kind of live-fantasy.

Well, I think I'll continue to read his books...
The time has no power over heart full of love, soul full of faith and music full of senses.

EkaterinaCat Offline ru

• First Forenmeister
« Reply #701 on: July 21, 2015, 10:07:34 »
In my life, for sure, a period of reading books by Roger Zelazny.
I do not know what time I started re-reading "The Chronicles of Amber".
The first time I read a series of books when I was 15 years old.
And since then, a book about fight for throne of Amber became one of my favorites.  :)

Sunny Offline ua

• Forenmeister
« Reply #702 on: July 23, 2015, 23:05:33 »
At last, I've found the time to write here!

Well, yesterday night I've finished The Castle of Otranto by Horance Walpole.
I guess, it can be described in just one line: it is the father of the Gothic novel (the true one, that of the XVIII century).
It is Romantic. And, being Romantic, it's too naive. It may even seem primitive - but it definitely possess it's own charm.
I do agree: to love this novel you should love the timid literature of that period, which was in constant search for the means to express itself and, naturally, the storm taking place in that raging sea which is the human's soul.
I recommend this book - and warn against it. One should not expect much from it. It's actual value lies in its unique atmosphere and the ability to return us back to the roots :)
... nothing ever comes of nothing - we pay a price for all our choices made © Sean Brennan

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #703 on: July 24, 2015, 14:36:03 »
I'm currently reading "I can see clearly now" from Wayne Dyer. It's more or less an autobiography with anekdotes of how he came to writing all his previous books, how he came to teaching people to basically find their own purpose in life, finding themselves and practicing compassion. Throughout his books he reaches tools how to look at things a different way, very confronting and merely also conflicting books where you can't else but look upon your own visions/thoughts/considerations ... if you don't grasp it as a possibility to reflect on yourself, I think one is easily tempted in putting the book aside. I learned a lot from these books... "excuses begone", "your ultimate calling", "the power of intention" all more or less come to teach you different aspects on creating your own life within the boundaries of what's possible with a strong calling to belief whether you call it god, love, intention, universe, nature, etc. . What makes this book I'm reading "I can see clearly now" so different for me personally is that I recently read a book from a dutch writer Els De Schepper "The soul who chose her own name" which nearly expresses the same thing or touches the same themes on which I'm searching myself at ... things get repeated or viewn upon from another angle but with the same intention... it's impressive how two separate people who live oceans apart come to the same conclusions by means of the same forms of intuition, beliefs and outcomes ... it gives insights that make me look upon my own situations by which I get to see the underlying powers that work from it. I would advice reading these books if just only to get into contact with other ways of looking upon yourself... the more you know about yourself, the more you learn about the world and where you want to be within this and the next years. Impressive to see is that the power of getting somewhere truly lies in always be content with what you have NOW... it all comes down into reducing life to the present moment as THIS is where you can change things not in the past nor in the future, but here, now, this very second. I love reading Dyer's books as well as De Scheper's book because it motivates so fricking much... it stimulates to go for that more compassionate way of living, this more conscious way of living. I love it and searching more books like this, anyone tips?
When you can dream it, you can do it!

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #704 on: July 24, 2015, 20:25:04 »
At last, I've found the time to write here!

Well, yesterday night I've finished The Castle of Otranto by Horance Walpole.
I guess, it can be described in just one line: it is the father of the Gothic novel (the true one, that of the XVIII century).
It is Romantic. And, being Romantic, it's too naive. It may even seem primitive - but it definitely possess it's own charm.
I do agree: to love this novel you should love the timid literature of that period, which was in constant search for the means to express itself and, naturally, the storm taking place in that raging sea which is the human's soul.
I recommend this book - and warn against it. One should not expect much from it. It's actual value lies in its unique atmosphere and the ability to return us back to the roots :)

Know what, I read this book couple of weeks ago and I was sure that I wrote about it here.... But it turns out that I didn't?..

I agree with your words.
One shouldn't expect too much from it. If I look at it like at a piece of art - it felt like I was watching a play with cardboard characters... Pretty stereotypical. But if you look at this book like at a first step in the genre of gothic-romantic novel... It's the roots, in fact. And the "stereotypical" things were not yet so cliche-ed when it was written. They became stereotypes already after.
I can't say it was the best book I've read. But indeed it has an atmosphere, it is its advantage.
I took it with respect, as a historical document of the beginning of the genre, so to say. And like a fairy-tale. In fairy-tales the characters are not obliged to be realistic and to behave like a modern person. So I think, one just should accept its naivety and enjoy reading, if one likes the atmosphere of old castles, mystic stories and medieval times.