Author Topic: What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?  (Read 133859 times)

lacrima_elix Offline

• Forenhase
What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2006, 21:40:41 »
Quote from: "Maria"
I like Oskar Wilde very much. Now I'm rereading his books again. Wilde always surprises me his wittiness and I think real sincerity.

I love Oscar Wilde too. "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" is absolutely great, but I think that his short stories and his tales are even better. They are so delicate and sensitive, "The Happy Prince" always makes me cry... It reminds me of another wonderful  story: "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Has anyone read it? It is hardly a story for children.  :roll:
There is no objective reality, everything is a matter of perspective.

Re: Gogol
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2006, 06:16:32 »
Quote from: "Marcus Cornelius Fronto"
I´m now reading Gogol. In Dutch: De dode zielen. Translation is difficult. The death souls? Is there someone who can help me on this translation. The book is a hilarious comedy!!!

On War and Peace by Tolstoy. Yes it´s stupifying boring by bits, but some parts are terriffic..  And there once was a tv series with Anthony Hopkins as Pierre, that wasn´t boring at all.. as I gather...
By the way:
Anyone read The Idiot by Dostojevski?

Hey, and keep on reading Grass, please...

Yes, Dead souls... I like Gogol very much... This man is generating laughter  :lol:

War and Peace is the great Epopee :!:  And if you don't like War read first his Sevasopol's Stories ... The clear war 8) And I want to say it's very difficult to write about war.

Dostoevsky's "Idiot" I read long time ago... It's deep and great. I want to read it once again.

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2006, 06:18:58 »
Quote from: "Elena"
I like reading very much. So, some of my favourite writers and poets are:

M.Bulgakov (especially Master and Margarita) :fhz:

Yes, I love Bulgakov too :)  
Master and Margarita is the book about good devil :lol:

Elena Offline

• Forenkenner
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2006, 07:34:43 »
Quote from: "Svetlana"
Master and Margarita is the book about good devil :lol:

Yes, devil in this book is very good and nice really :lol:

Bulgakov opose his devil Voland to devil by Gete - Mefistofel. So, Mefistifel is `real` devil (avid, cruel), whereas Voland is just and nobel.
`Good devil` :)
"Es ist der Traum der mich gefuhrt
Und folgen werde ich bis in die Glut..."
(c) Lacrimosa

Maria Offline

• Forenkenner First Class
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2006, 12:32:15 »
Quote from: "lacrima_elix"
Quote from: "Maria"
I like Oskar Wilde very much. Now I'm rereading his books again. Wilde always surprises me his wittiness and I think real sincerity.

It reminds me of another wonderful  story: "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Has anyone read it? It is hardly a story for children.  :roll:

Wonderful comparison! I think everyone has read "The Little Prince"! I love both these stories.
And I like "Nightingale and Rose" and other Wilde's stories too.
I can\'t beat you, since I can\'t beat God

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2006, 16:56:18 »
I'm reading "the lord of the rings" and my favourit book is one of Garcia Marquez "duizend jaar eenzaamheid" (in my language, it means "Thousend time of lonelyness") it was just a great book with al lots of names and It was such a big book :-) I love big books!
Chose being kind over being right, always!

Marcus Cornelius Fronto Offline

• Forenkenner
full of joy
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2006, 19:43:28 »
Well, I was not mistaken when I began this thread. Thank you all. I´m full of joy when I see your entries. And now on this thread a New Name enters the Arena: Oscar Wilde. And somebody above mentioned Huysmans. Death, Love and Beauty?
But now, did you all check out the Cadavre Exquise thread?
In which the Lacramosians are writing their own story?
I welcome you all!
It´s about some people going to a concert in Prague, 1913, to see The New One.  This is the place and the time where once Der Golem was conceived...
It´s (among other things) about resurrection...
I think...
I´m now reading Meyrink´s The Green Face.
U zult veel vergeven worden, want U heeft veel films gezien.

lacrima_elix Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2006, 13:09:28 »
I've got this strange feeling that you are trying to lead us somewhere, you're giving us clues in order to find something, but it's as if I can't read your instructions, they're written in a foreign language...
I know that you expect smth from us and I'm willing to help you, but how?
You keep talking about Prague, 1913, The New One (which you said it was Lacrimosa) and the creation of the golem...I'm afraid that neither the location nor the year doesn't ring any bell, at least for me.  :(  
Now you've added Wilde and Huysmans, are they part of the enigma?
Please, tell me more.  :bigprayer:

Mona Offline

• Major Forenfreak
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2006, 13:31:27 »
am now reading the pirates of the carribean sonder edition from some cornflakes producer!!  More Infos here all in german unfortunally
Ein Leben ohne Liebe ist kein Leben
Tilo Wolff Lacrimosa

NO SUPPORT VIA PN!

Homaz Offline

• Master Forenkenner
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2006, 14:52:04 »
I like to read books of franz kafka!
www.homaz.de
Visit my Page about my music and lacrimosa. :)

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2006, 16:01:25 »
I wans't born yet in 1913 :-) and I haven't learned something about history of art so :-( there isn't a bell ringing with me neather  :oops:  I feel so ashamed! cause I love art and books
I like reading the poets of william wordsworth, sertenly "My heart leaps up when I behold" I once learned it for school, I was so full of warmth once I've said it for the class!

My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began,
So is it now I am a man,
So be it when I shall grow old
Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man:
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety

that's the poem! Isn't it wonderfull :-) just love it wish I had the same talent :cry:
Chose being kind over being right, always!

melissa Offline

• Forenkenner
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2006, 18:35:44 »

either do i. his books are really great...they influenced me very much..He's one of my favorite writers

on Tolstoj's War & Peace: i don't find any part of boring..when i was reading it i couldn't stop!

on Dostoevski: he's also one of my favorite writers... i'm now reading one of his novels... he depicts human psychology so truthfully..

on Gogol's Dead Souls: it's not entirely a comedy...there are some things that i wouldn't laugh at. in fact, i didn't use to like his books, but now i'm really fond of them. especially of his short mystic stories.

Master and Margarita .. hm..it's brilliant! but i like Bulgakov's "Wight Army"(i'm not sure that this translation of the title is correct) more.

and does anyone here like Nabokov? i adore his books...

Maria Offline

• Forenkenner First Class
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2006, 14:09:47 »
Quote from: "Homaz"

Certainly, Franz Kafka is great writer! But many of his books not so simply to understand and realize. Sometimes understanding of his books comes to the reader after a lot of time. Or, for example, some parts of his books can affect the man. In any case I love to read Kafka too. This writer fascinates. Something simply amazes imagination. I often find something close me in Kafka's books.

And sorry I can't speak English very well.
I can\'t beat you, since I can\'t beat God

Adskoe_penie Offline

• Forenkenner
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2006, 15:50:21 »
And here I am :) It`s common,but I like books of Ann Rice very much.Goethe is also my favourite.And what about Kafka,I`ve only read his The Castle(or how is it called right in English?)))

lacrima_elix Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2006, 16:20:35 »
melissa wrote:

and does anyone here like Nabokov? i adore his books...

I had to read "Lolita" and, although the story itself doesn't thrill me, his narrative technique is absolutely amazing! I've read then "Priglasenie na kazn' " (translated in Romanian as "Invitation to Scafflod") and I loved it. His style is here less interesting, less postmodernist, but the plot is really catchy.  ;)