Author Topic: Masterpiece forged in a decade - Review of "Tunes for my Santiméa"  (Read 1392 times)

LUSha Offline cn

• Forenfreak
Antw:Masterpiece forged in a decade - Review of "Tunes for my Santiméa"
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 22:28:26 »
Hi everyone! Thank you LUSha for the topic!
I'm still listening to the album on and on since the release day. My Googleplay music says that I've listened to it about 70 times!  ;D And it's only via online  ;D And I just can't stop this!
Is it enough for expressing my impressions? ;D
To be honest, I was so excited about the album, and it totally surprised me in all good sense. A bit hard to write such big review like LUSha did, but I hope I'll be able to catch my mind and write some words about every songs. For now I'm completely impressed...

And yes, same here!  ;)

lol crazy! good you have something to take count...i lost count how many times i listened!...and now still playing..goes on...i'd say that's also rare for me...i never wrote anything like music reviews since yeaaaars  ;D
Kunst und Lust folgen aus demselben Trieb ->Meine Lust

LUSha Offline cn

• Forenfreak
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 22:31:06 »
I didn't forget, I'll do it  ;)  I didn't specify which weekend though  :P ;D (feel like someone who one said about something summer)

Soon I'll listen to the real CD and think about how to write it...
Haha Julia yes i noticed the summer thing....like musician like fans  ;D ;D ;D
Super! I saw it in Saturn..maybe i'll buy a CD in the end...so can also play in car and at home..
Kunst und Lust folgen aus demselben Trieb ->Meine Lust

Arkana Offline ru

• Major Forenfreak
  • Find what you love and let it kill you...
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 11:16:35 »
lol crazy! good you have something to take count...i lost count how many times i listened!...and now still playing..goes on...i'd say that's also rare for me...i never wrote anything like music reviews since yeaaaars  ;D

Well, if it wasn't counted I think I've never know how many times I listened too  ;D actually I really don't know how many  ;D
I like to write the reviews, but it always hard for me to write something about the music I like too much. But I'll try to do it and I think I can do it this weekend, cause I've got my copy already! Happy as hell!  :D

(feel like someone who one said about something summer)
but looks like someone prefer Autumn anyway  ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:23:53 by Arkana »
The time has no power over heart full of love, soul full of faith and music full of senses.

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 14:17:30 »
So, finally I'll try to write a review for Tunes for my Santimea.

Yesterday thanks to Arkana I got my CD. Before that I have listened to the album only in my mp3 player, downloaded from google... what can i say? feel the difference. This album deserves to be bought in the CD format, the sound gets another dimension.

This Snakeskin is different from old Snakeskin again - after all, 10 years have passed.
Tilo's vocals changed really much, now there is lyrics in his songs, which are hard for me to be picked by ear, but it's not distorted like in previous albums.
Kerstin's vocals are still that same Kerstin :) I think, it's impossible to dislike her singing. Don't know what to add, she's majestic.
And the new voice that had shocked many people - Carina Böhmer. Before I listened to the whole album, I was a bit afraid that songs with this voice will sound too pop for me. But in the whole picture, it turned out to work quite well - it brought some newness, freshness, youth.

I see a division here, in the three voices. I cannot be sure what Tilo sings sometimes, but Carina can be understood quite well. And Kerstin sings mostly in the made-up language (according to Tilo's interview). In terms of emotions, of how it sounds, I feel that Tilo's voice is like an animal part - the desires, animal part (it's Snakeskin!), the voice of what's deep inside us. Carina sings in a more daily language, in simpler, more straightforward way. So it's more about a day-to-day, normal life. If Tilo is subconscious, she is conscious. And Kerstin is highest part of the three. It's hard to describe in words, if you heard her you will understand, I think.

Le seul vrai - it's like a beautiful intro to the album, that keeps you enchanted and makes you sit quiet and just listen to it, falling deeper into the music. It makes you turn to your emotional side. For me it works a bit like "Mondfeuer", a beautiful intro that should make you perceive the album with open heart, that changes your perception and makes you more open to music...

Moonlightfire - it's what I said about Tilo's vocals in this album... "This is pure desire" - how else to describe this song... Very powerful, anxious.
It's pretty hard, but not unexpected for Snakeskin.

Alive - and here the surprises begin ;) I think not all listeners would accept it.
But isn't it plane. Such a strong, young voice sings "Alive!" - and it works great, I mean it passes really well to express the feelings for "Alive", doesn't it?
I have a suspicion, that Tilo likes to challenge the listener, doing some experiments. And I respect him for that ability to do something new.

Santimea - that traditional Kerstin's song, that beauty that one would expect from a song with her.
There is sadness there, but on the first place for me is beauty.
Kerstin gave her own interpretation of the word Santimea - my most sacred, the moar sacred in me.
But I am wondering, is there something else hidden. I watched the trailers (the Phases) and there is a hint about another meaning... That doesn't go along with this specific song, but with Snakeskin in general...

Go - for me it's a song of freedom, of breaking free. Free often means alone, but there are times when it's what we really desire. Carina did a great job here.

Heartbeat - because of the title, I associate it with a racing heart, then some calmer moments, and then again... And most touching thing for me is the tiny pause before the second "you"...
In this song I hear Tilo from Lacrimosa, and actually I don't mind at all.

La vie passee - one of my favorites. The motifs seem to be related to Kaleidoscop by the mood. Kerstin sings like she was born for it :) Like it's easy and natural for her. It's a masterpiece in music and in singing.

Keep Me Alive
- a very sharp, uncompromising song. I loved it since the video appeared. So full of power and energy. Btw, in an interview Tilo also said that there is also a second, uncensored version of the video
Love the contrast of the male vocals that sound like church singing and Tilo's vocals.
I still didn't work out the meaning of the lyrics by ear. Some words are clear but I'm not getting the whole picture.

Take Me Now - sooo electronic :) and fast. I noticed, there are 3 songs for each of the singers. In Alive Tilo participates too, as if first introducing Carina...
This one is a good song too, but I love Go more, if we talk about her songs.

Recall III
- a beautiful trio, it's what makes it really special. All the three voices are as different as they can be.
Also, there are several places that recall us about previous Snakeskin and I even heard something that reminded me of early Lacrimosa...

Now some words about the artwork to the album. The faces of the models are covered, and the bodies are naked. I interpreted it like this - this project is more about the things that usually stay hidden, rather than about what we show to the world. Especially that naughty pic on the back side of the digipack ;) (I like this one) What we hide, can be naughty, and beautiful. Some people will think about the beautiful legs when they see this picture, and others will complain and say that it's indecent. It's a provocation of some sort.
I think it's more or less about the Snakeskin project.

Fannie Offline mx

• Forenguru
  • Mit der Hoffnung tief im Blick
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 01:19:21 »
Oh Fannie you also start Graphic design study? congrats!  ;) and have lots of fun(and pain)  ;D

Yes!!  And thank you, I'm in the third semester already and it's been a really cool career (with its moments of pain as you said)   haha  ;D

And now returning to the topic...
Julia thanks for sharing your review!  :)
Now that you mentioned the trio in Recall III I can see number 3 is an important number  in this album,  you know,  it is the third Snakeskin album, the song Recall III, there are 3 singers instead of 2... I don't know if Tilo made this intentionally or it's a big coincidence but it makes for me this album even more especial  ;)