Author Topic: Last seen movie  (Read 45640 times)

jenny-jen Offline de

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Minister Of Smile
Last seen movie
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:34:19 »
I love movies and I thought that we need a topic where we can tell us which movie we saw, on TV, in the cinema or DVD. :D So maybe we can discover new movies ^^ and please don't forget to tell if you like it or not and why :D

I just start with my last seen movie or better the last seen which I want to tell.^^ Last weekend I saw Evan Almighty on TV and I think this movie is great!! It's a comedy where a man meets god because he had a wish: changing the world. I don't want to say too much but just one thing: maybe it's a bit kitschy but there's an important message: You don't have to take the Holy Bible literally :D
*** Minister Of Smile ***

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
Last seen movie
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:24:52 »
Greaaaat topic ^^

:D  :D  :D I saw that one  :D  :D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: kitchy or not but I enjoyed that one very much  :lol:

Well the last movie I saw was Alice in Wonderland cause since we didn't have much chances to watch tv nor go to the cinema so ... I liked it very much, cause donno I think some characters were presented very great. I heard  some disappointment left and right about the movie ... but I think people have just put too much expectations to it  ... I went to see it because I was curious... I'm a bit sceptical when it comes to Depp (now shoot me) ... I said it before am not (or better was not) a real Depp lover... but in my opinion he did a fantastic job with the mad Hatter  :D I laughed my ass of in the cinema... just because it's so well done how he can somehow expresses different emotions in such a small timespan ... that's an incredible job I think. Trained face-muscles hihi! and in such situations I mean when people chance so quick from facial expression I feel like a baby and start to laugh donno how that comes... And furthermore yeah donno, I like movies that demand my imagination and for some reason it worked perfectly cause at that very moment in cinema I was Alice  :lol:  and when a movie succeeds in creating that phenomenon with me the movie succeeds in my opinion. So Depp's work very good. The setting was incredible in my opinion as well, very dreamy, fantasy-like, music well-chosen a lot of the melodies stuck in my head for the next couple of days. The plot yeah, a bit like a lot of movies nowadays, a bit inspirationless if you ask me ... but still they did great things taking that into account that it's very hard to find original stories nowadays ...they did a lot with the separate characters, kinda gave them a further dimension which (I read the story) I somehow missed in the story before... it's like Wolfman, I liked it very very much, but again it's such a chlicé story but as I said so often... not all clichés are bad are they  ;) ...but wraaawr Anthony Hopkins remains such a fantastic actor!

The next one I'd like to see is Ewan Mcgregor as a homosexual  :lol:  :lol:  "I love you Phillip Morris" as far as I saw trailers it's a comedy  :lol: ... and I never really saw McGregor in  a comedy. He's my favourite actor up to now, might change after this movie I donno. It's with Jim Carrey as well another actor I appreciate somehow, to some extent (facial expressions  :lol: ) ... but my boy doesn't want to see this movie... because he can't stand Jim Carrey  :lol: ... and he thinks I'm too fund of Ewan McGregor  :lol: ... so I'll have to get it borrow it at the bla how they call it  :shock:  and see it at home on a lonely evening  :D
When you can dream it, you can do it!

Einsamkeit Offline 00

• Forenhase
Last seen movie
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 18:59:48 »
Cool topic :)

I've seen both of the films you guys have mentioned actually. Both quite good, must say though, that Alice in Wonderland was a little more appealing to me but that's only because I love using my imagination and all :)

@Kitty: *hits Kitty* How can you not like Depp?! :o :lol: Ewan McGregor is very cool too and he has a lovely accent ;)

Anyway, the last movie I watched was possibly one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen! It was a Danish one called "Adams Æbler" or "Adam's Apples" and it was about a priest somewhere in the countryside that helps criminals or people in general getting back on track. The priest himself has been abused as a kid and now has a huge tumor pushing on his brain which disables him from seeing anything bad/evil...which makes him believe that the people he's helping is actually doing better despite the fact that they're still stealing, drinking etc right in front of him. He also keeps claiming his disabled son is not disabled in any way. The title basically comes from one of the guys the priest helps that had this goal of making an apple pie as his treatment in becoming a better person. I cannot really say if this is a recommendable movie, but it certainly is strange  :lol:

Also watched "Green Zone" in the cinema with my boy. Even though I'm not too much into all that war and such it was actually a quite interesting and entertaining movie :) It wasn't really the usual American war drama even though, it ended a bit that way anyway :P But I would say if you like action in the sense of being more realistic and related to current events this is actually a nice film :)
- Kat

Grazia Offline ru

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Make love not war (c) Gershon Legman
Last seen movie
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 20:18:51 »
last two (in the same day) were Crossroads (1986) and Alice in Wonderland in 3d-version )))

enjoyed both!

OMG...i forgot...or was it Remember Me?... :shock:

There was a funny story connected with this sad film...In Russian it sounds "pOmni menya", but we also have the word "pomnI" which means "crumple", the only difference is the accent. We were joking about this the whole way to the cinema, so got used to this wrong title, and when i had to ask the cashier for tickets, i said accidently ''2 tickets for "crumple me", please" :oops:  :roll:  :lol:
Greetings from St.Pete

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
Last seen movie
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 20:43:52 »
Quote from: "Einsamkeit"

@Kitty: *hits Kitty* How can you not like Depp?! :o :lol: Ewan McGregor is very cool too and he has a lovely accent ;)

hihihi, sorry, I get that remark rather often... but I wrote it before somewhere, I just can't get through that guy ... I mean it's a bit of a mystery around him... I saw him in kinda different movies and up to now he never really made an impression on me like he made on many others  ... up to his mad Hatter ^^ he really convinced me in that movie, he made me laugh, made me think about things I like that when an actor can make you go home with a lot of thoughts and even if it's something stupid like "why is a raven like a writing desk" but it sticks to my mind because of the facial expression he used on asking that question ... or like the sad look when Alice told him about how he thinks that everything is just a dream "then that would mean I am not real neither" (don't recall the exact words he used) those are things that make me think (and came on the right point actually cause I've been thinking about reality and fantasy a lot lately) That's what makes for me a good actor and regrettably Depp didn't succeed in this before... ^^ but perhaps that's because I was too young when I saw other movies (must admit it has been a while since I've seen him acting in a movie) And just because I really could relate to the mad Hatter *laughs* sometimes I'm not aware of how you should behave in the real world ^^...

As for Ewan McGregor... I yeah fell in love with his acting since Mouling Rouge after that I kinda lend all the movies he ever played in for the evenings and evenings I went babysitting ^^ ... and I still kinda love his acting ... I also have his book here at home... he made a travel around the world with his best friend Charley I believe he's called (also an actor if I'm not mistaken) they made a travel around the world by motorcycle and wrote a book, also made a tv-show afterwards... I believe recently they did something equally with other countries etc ... I have the book they wrote about this experience and read it three times by now cause it's really yeah I really liked the descriptions ... very visualised, very emotionally they passed through Mongolia for example and I remember that part cause he's very attached to that country, it really had an impact on him seeing the poverty of those people and still how perfectly happy they can be with what they have (donno if it was afterwards or before that he did some things for this country as UNICEF ambassador) ... I liked it "Long Way around" it's called I believe also the show was called that way ... and the newer version is Long Way Down when I remember well. By far my favourite actor ^^ not just for his accent ... hihi I love his sweet Scottish accent haha!!

Also watched "Green Zone" in the cinema with my boy. Even though I'm not too much into all that war and such it was actually a quite interesting and entertaining movie :) It wasn't really the usual American war drama even though, it ended a bit that way anyway :P But I would say if you like action in the sense of being more realistic and related to current events this is actually a nice film :)

you don't like war-movies? For some reason I kinda like it, cause I use such things to study my history at school  :D You know I study in that I relate to images ... and most of my history images come from the movies I've seen ... moreover I'm intrigued by German history and how this people managed to kinda get further, to survive, to go on with their lives despite the big mark it all left on their country, their nationality... I think many people worldwide underestimate what a disaster National Sozialismus created not only for the world but also for his own people ... in war it's always like that, that a big part are waging war because they have no other choice, because it's that or being dead right away (in any case when it's a world war) and I like movies who kinda zoom in on this aspect of war, the more "humanly" (as far as that exists) side of it all, how people on the street deal with it ... God I recently saw a movie like that, about an officer who's scared to dead to go to war but has no choice and eventually starts killing donno anymore  :| me and titles horrible ... what I do have with such movies, I have to be in the mood for it ... else that has the completely wrong effect on me  :)

Zwielichtsgestalt Offline

• First Forenkenner
Last seen movie
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 20:46:54 »
Last time I saw "Alice in Wonderland", a Tim Burton movie.

I have to say, that I do not like Tim Burton very much. But this movie was really great, charming, crazy, funny.
A nice movie for young an old people.  :lol:

But I've seen it only in 2D, because 3D is too expenisve for me.
... only dark angel are able to fly ...

Einsamkeit Offline 00

• Forenhase
Last seen movie
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 21:12:54 »
@Kitty: I must say I quite like Depp's roles and his acting, especially the ones Tim Burton has directed :) there's something about the atmosphere of his movies and Depp's acting that gives it something extra. Plus I really like some of the more special characters that Depp chooses :) But I must say when we talk about Tim burton's movies and all, Helena Bonham Carter is brilliant as well! :) I think she does quite a good job in Alice but especially in Sweeney Todd :)

I've seen both "long way down" & "long way around" and I just looove it! It's so interesting to watch the cultural differences and also him and Charley are quite funny I think :P I haven't read any of their books actually, but I really want to...just have to order them from somewhere cause I haven't found them here yet ;)

Well I like war movies(just not my favorite kind of movies :P) but some, especially American, just tend to be a little patriotic for my taste. But I've watched quite a lot about 2nd World war and everything and I think it's interesting getting the story and seeing things from another perspective than that of your history book :)
- Kat

jenny-jen Offline de

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Minister Of Smile
Last seen movie
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 22:46:19 »
Oh I want also see Alice in Wonderland! Absolutely! :)

@Kitty: *hits Kitty* How can you not like Depp?! :o :lol:

I thought the same! I really love him... ONLY his acting, yeees!^^

I also like war movies but as you said Kitty when I'm in the mood. Last war movie I saw was Apocalyptica Now, actually the long version. A long movie and weird but it really shows how people could change in war, how insane they could be.. I don't know if I get the end rightly because I was half sleeping but all in all it's a great movie :)
*** Minister Of Smile ***

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
Last seen movie
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 23:10:19 »
@Depp: I'll give him a try really...(he has a lovely accent haha) I promised myself that I'll watch some more movies with him, there are quite a lot I haven't seen yet so ^^ ... as I said my opinion also changed a lot about him, I even saw some interviews with him already  :D so ... means he really caught my attention now.

and have to admit that Burton is indeed a good director
I've seen other movies of him as well
- Big Fish
- Charlie and the Chocolate
- Planet of the Apes
- Sleepy Hollow

@Ewan and Charley: yeah they seem like funny guys  :lol: ... and I found it sooooooo cute when Ewan yearns for his wife and kids  :D

-Sehnsucht- Offline

• Forenkenner First Class
Last seen movie
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 01:36:12 »
my last movie in the theater was "Avatar" ... and in the tv it was "Das Leben der Anderen"
Hope is a waking dream.

Grazia Offline ru

• Forenlichtgestalt
  • Make love not war (c) Gershon Legman
Last seen movie
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 09:36:30 »
Quote from: "Zwielichtsgestalt"
Last time I saw "Alice in Wonderland", a Tim Burton movie.

I have to say, that I do not like Tim Burton very much. But this movie was really great, charming, crazy, funny.
A nice movie for young an old people.  :lol:

But I've seen it only in 2D, because 3D is too expenisve for me.

:shock: we have the same price! but depends on the time, if you go see it in the morning, it is about 5 Euro, in the late evening - up to 15-20 Euros

I loved the movie, though many people said "don't watch it, it is a fail" )))
Johnny Depp played amazingly)))))

@-Sehnsucht-: I watched Avatar as well, here the distribution period was prolonged 2 times because there were crowds who wanted to watch it )))
Me, a hellish evil woman, even almost squeezed out a little tear while watching ))) :lol:
Greetings from St.Pete

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
Last seen movie
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 11:17:25 »
Quote from: "-Sehnsucht-"
my last movie in the theater was "Avatar" ... and in the tv it was "Das Leben der Anderen"

I saw those as well ... avatar moved me somehow ... I really liked the story and it's so beautifully made in my opinion ...

Das Leben der Anderen I know I liked that movie, but for some reason a lot of it has disappeared from my brain  :shock: ... will have to see it again ^^  I missed it at school, they played it this year with the German week ... but I fell ill that week so *sighs*  :D

Einsamkeit Offline 00

• Forenhase
Last seen movie
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 12:15:30 »
Quote from: "Longwaytogo"
@Depp: I'll give him a try really...(he has a lovely accent haha) I promised myself that I'll watch some more movies with him, there are quite a lot I haven't seen yet so ^^ ... as I said my opinion also changed a lot about him, I even saw some interviews with him already  :D so ... means he really caught my attention now.

and have to admit that Burton is indeed a good director
I've seen other movies of him as well
- Big Fish
- Charlie and the Chocolate
- Planet of the Apes
- Sleepy Hollow

@Ewan and Charley: yeah they seem like funny guys  :lol: ... and I found it sooooooo cute when Ewan yearns for his wife and kids  :D

@Depp: hehe it's nice that you give him a chance, not that I would think any less of you if you didn't though ;)

But some more good movies with him and Burton except from the ones you've already mentioned;
Edward Scissorhands
Sweeney Todd - My friend thought it was strange but I like it a lot :P
Corpse Bride - Even though he's "only" doing the voice there ;)

@Ewan & Charley: Yea, that was really cute and quite understandable as well! :)

@Other movies mentioned: I've also watched Avatar and Das Leben der Anderen, both quite good movies :) Even though for Avatar I think the story was a bit thin at times, but the visuals were amazing! :)

Oh yea I totally forgot to mentioned that I watched The Omen the other day as well (easter=movies on TV ) and "Mænd der hader kvinder" which according to IMDb is called "The girl with the dragon tattoo" in english?!  :?  the original meaning is "men who hates women" anyway! The last one was all right actually, the story was quite good and same goes for the acting :) The Omen was...I dunno actually, I thought it would be way more scary and creepy :?
- Kat

Asphodel Offline ru

• Administrator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
  • Das ist es wert!
Last seen movie
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 13:23:27 »
My last movie was Alice too, I think I wrote my impressions somewhere already... Well, I was a bit disappointed... But I really like Depp (in this movie and in general :lol: ) The plot is weak IMHO... Picture is great, naturally, but well, picture is not everything... I expected more from Burton...
But well it's just my opinion :)
By the way I adore Burton, I watched all of his movies I could find... He's my fav director :D (and Depp my fav actor, together with Rickman)

I've seen Avatar this winter too, I really liked it, I even watched it twice :D (3D and ordinary film) It's incredibly impressive in 3D... And here I liked both the picture (needless to say about its quality in Avatar) and the plot... In fact the plot tells about pretty simple things, I cannot say this topic is very original, but whatever! It touched me really deeply...
By the way I cannot imagine watching Avatar on ordinary TV screen :| it's not made for it, it seems to me...

And in-between these two movies I watched Solomon Kane (it's about a lonesome fighter of the dark powers, to put it short)... Cannot say it's a #1 blockbuster on my list, but the style of this movie appeals to me... Such movies give me energy :D (and no it's not cheerful or something)

Last seen movie
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 16:49:41 »
The last two movies i watched was Fantastic Mr Fox and District 9
I really like them...! D9 was smart i think, it's able to control and change audience's emotions from beginning to end, a nice trap!...but I still find something missing in the movie...like it's unfinished.

I watched Avatar earlier, had a high expectation for Avatar, and was as highly disappointed as expected...I bought the most expensive ticket at the best movie theater with IMAX 3D, i was really deceived by promotion......and just to find out 'ok so that's it...that's the whole story?'
And I was not very impressed by the plain scenery, the papercutting like birds, this kind of fantasy story has no roots like LOTR...so no matter how many things you created and named...they extinct in memory very soon
And most important the pooooor storyline...god i was thinking do they have to steal every single idea and concept from Miyazaki Hayao? :lol:  :lol:  and even controlling Avatar looks like controlling EVA

I think why Tim Burton failed with Alice this time is because this time it's not a real Tim Burton product, it's a stereotype Disney product baths in lights from Tim Burton and Johnny Depp!

Tim Burton has distinguished himself from the bunch of stereotypes Disney would endlessly creating...And Johnny Depp is good at acting some 'weird' characters but underneath weird there must be something deeper, emotions, feelings, humanity, charisma, a more complicated character with  contrast. Not just jumping around and being weird for weird's sake.

None of these above Disney can handle, Disney just love to produce (many fairtales for example) movies with hilarious scenario; outdated lines and gags, formalized personality and characters, some doctorines and lectures, some hilarious dancing and singing, and always a happy ending.

Tim's style is a little too non-traditional for Disney...I saw his surface, not his mind.....