Author Topic: What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?  (Read 54364 times)

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
Antw:What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?
« Reply #735 on: July 16, 2016, 23:56:00 »
;D and now in the middle of Giambattista Basile's Tale of Tales (a middle ages' forefather of fairy tales of Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, etc... ) It is VERY middle ages. People were MUCH different then from now :) Lots of grotesque and cruel fantasy...

Finished! These tales are so cruel... We have progressed so much since!!
It always looks like a straight line outside when everything is bent inside.

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #736 on: August 04, 2016, 08:25:52 »
Back to a book left unfinished in high school ! We've bought a nice new copy (small print, great smooth paper and light in weight&small in size -- perfect!..) in Saint-Pete, it's a pleasure to reread this masterpiece! It is always a pleasure to read Dostoyevsky -- albeit pretty hard at times to delve deep into emotions of characters mostly lacking adequacy, but much happy in their dark feelings -- a pleasure of unfolding characters and attitudes that can perpetrate someone's lives and souls. It's a timeless and priceless creation.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:27:23 by WalkAbout »

WalkAbout Offline fr

• Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #737 on: August 09, 2016, 08:16:16 »
Finished Brothers Karamazov yesterday... It's a very deep story at the end of which I had to rethink how I thought of certain characters and completely withdraw from any judgement whatsoever (except that I still think that they are masters of their own misery -- and yes, I hate Puccini's La Boheme as well, and for the same reason -- simply because none of the 'havoc bringing' characters thinks of others, and not single one of them wants to change until it's too late -- all are so passionate). But mostly this book is about Christianity and modernity, Christianity in Russia, it's role, values, and hopes for the future, Orthodox Christian perception of crime, punishment, and forgiveness. Poor Dostoyevsky, I think he would have died with a heart attack if he learned what happened to the Russian Empire years after his death, and how everything he deemed high transformed -- irreversibly. 
It gives much, much food for thought. It's only a tip of the iceberg that I could mention here. A masterpiece by a literary maverick. I strongly recommend this book.

Now I'm reading La Chemise by Anatole France. It's a small but interesting story about a king who needed a shirt from a happy man to recover from his illness :) We used to have lots of books by Anatole France in our home library, but that library perished while my family moved, so... now, it seems, I'm slowly gathering books for my own home library that will come into existence one day  ;D ;D ;D

Fernanda Alves Offline br

• Forenhase
  • Sprechen ist ein täglicher Kampf gegen die Angst..
« Reply #738 on: January 03, 2017, 13:48:08 »
Hi, everyone!

This year I promised myself I'll read more books than in the past years.

I started one yesterday night and finished this morning, it's a short book, few more than 100 pages.

Now I'm reading my second book this year. My fiance - I think he can read my mind - gave me this one on Christmas.

"This is my sole prayer for blessing your heart"... ♫

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #739 on: June 06, 2017, 14:44:47 »
I retook my habbit of reading ... novels again ... the only escape I can find from this planet that becomes nastier with the moment. I'm reading "See Me" from Nicholas Spark at the moment.

I like it a lot, it reads like a train and it could be something happening to you and me. A typical romance that's not quite so typical after all. Two quite opposite types get in love with each other. He has a past of violence and with one foot in prison, she's a lawyer who's madly in love and doesn't quite understand why she's not just running away from him. He trained himself to control his rages and she trained herself to ban her past. Their love gets tested and up till now I can feel the tension build. I'm curious to how this wil end. And I think the book is holding already one big lesson so far: it's not what others think of you that makes who you are.

I started reading this book because of one sentence in the resume: love is sometimes forged in the crises that threaten to shatter us . . . and that those who see us for who we truly are may not always be the ones easiest to recognize.
=> that is so true.
When you can dream it, you can do it!

Kitty Offline be

• Global Moderator
  • Forenlichtgestalt
« Reply #740 on: October 20, 2017, 11:49:57 »
No shit I got myself what they call... an e-reader  ;D ;D ;D I dispised the thing and could not be convinced as I'd miss my book-reading-feeling... but in the end I got convinced because I'm already carrying half of my house along when I got to work and it's really nice to just have tons of books with me in this tiny little thing you hardly see...
anyhow I got myself a subscription for dutch books so I get 8 books a month (way too much for the spare time I have) and stupid but true I fell in love with the feel-good-roman again... In the subscription there was a book (I don't think it's translated as it's not that much of high literature) called "fallen" from Jackie Van Laren. It's about Anne (called Annie by some people in the book- no shit  :D) a journalist who is at the start of her carreer... she can have an interview with Rory, singer in a band, and hopes to break through with that interview. How more clichee can a book start?! She somehow gets invited on a tour to write a story about it and feels a strange connection with Rory that she can't explain. I'd normally never ever read such a story, but I got grasped so much by the way of writing that in no time I was stuck and couldn't but read on. Silly maybe but I even cried along with Anne at specific moments in the book. So the story was at the end and I wanted to know more about the writer and whether she had more books and what genres they're in... there's a sequence to this one ... holy crap. But it was not present in the library. I brought along a trilogy from her about a dj and his secretary.  ::) ::) yes yes I know. I promised myself after these three books (book one is finished already) I'll ready something with more content again, but for now I just need to lay back and lose myself.

When you can dream it, you can do it!