Author Topic: What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?  (Read 54612 times)

Arlishan Offline mx

• Forenlichtgestalt
What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2006, 20:04:33 »
I highly recommend The Shadow of the Wind, that's from Carlos Ruiz Zafon, a spanish novelist. If you know spanish, read it in the original language,it's loads better cause it captures de ambience of the post-civil war Spain. The book that moved my earth and sky.

Mani Offline

• Staff Forenkenner
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 00:07:25 »
When I was a teenager, books were a very important part of my life. Now I have no time for reading, but I try do it from time to time. One year ago I discovered a great Irish writer called Robert Mc Liam Wilson. His three books; "Ripley Bogle" , Manfred's Pain" and "Eureka Street" are brilliant. In my opinion Wilson is not very popular in Ireland cause his stories tell all brutal truth about Irish mentality and fulishness, but I may be wrong...

Quote from: "Svetlana"

yes :)
sometimes I read the Bible and can't understand at all, but not so often.
but usually I  really understand it.

Belive me, no one can understand The Bible without thorough knowledge about ancient history. I thought like you, that " I really understand" The Bible before my friend lent me a book of Polish writer Jerzy Kosidowski about The Old Testament ( " Opowiesci biblijne " ). After reading this book I have changed my mind and my point of view. Now I'm quite sure that a lot of things which I've believed in, were ordinary waste of time. If you are catholics, stay away from this book cause your religion can be lost :) Kosidowski's books ( he wrote also a book about The New Testament ) are not available in bookshops, it is not strange cause Church in Poland is still very influential.

Quote from: "krankes_hirn"
Lovecraft: One of my favourites. The last book i read form him was "At the mountains of madness".

I just bought DVD called ' Mountains Of Madness". This theatrical performance is created by Alexander Hacke ( Einstürzende Neubauten ) and The Tiger Lillies and dedicated to H.P. Lovecraft :)

My best writers:
Franz Kafka, Michail Bulhakov, Jerzy Kosinski, Edgar Alan Poe, Nick Cave, Fjodor Dostojevsky
Darkness surrounding me
My head hangs low
Your arms are far ...

Elena Offline

• Forenkenner
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2006, 07:35:21 »
I like reading very much. So, some of my favourite writers and poets are:

M.Bulgakov (especially Master and Margarita) :fhz:
F.Dostoevsky
I.Gete
A.Dante
I.Turgenev
J.Tolkien
B.Stocker
Shopengauer
S.Esenin
A.Blok
R.Burns
J.Bairon
...and many others...

And I hate Tolstoy War and peace, I dont understand how this one can reading. Very-very boring book.
"Es ist der Traum der mich gefuhrt
Und folgen werde ich bis in die Glut..."
(c) Lacrimosa

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2006, 08:57:35 »
Quote from: "Mani"

Belive me, no one can understand The Bible without thorough knowledge about ancient history. I thought like you, that " I really understand" The Bible before my friend lent me a book of Polish writer Jerzy Kosidowski about The Old Testament ( " Opowiesci biblijne " ). After reading this book I have changed my mind and my point of view. Now I'm quite sure that a lot of things which I've believed in, were ordinary waste of time. If you are catholics, stay away from this book cause your religion can be lost :) Kosidowski's books ( he wrote also a book about The New Testament ) are not available in bookshops, it is not strange cause Church in Poland is still very influential.

I don't want to read books about The Bible (books about books)because any rewriting is the distortion of it. And about antient history... I tryed to learn it but I can't. I really think that any history is the history of human self-interest, war and blood and I don't like it. Noone can't kill my beliefe excepting the God. My beliefe is self-sufficient and need not any acknowledgement, refutation or explanation. I think the Bible is the book about God and his activity and not more. And The God-Himself is much more his book.
imho 8)

Mani Offline

• Staff Forenkenner
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2006, 10:15:38 »
. I think the Bible is the book about God and his activity and not more.

I respect your point of view, even your religion, but I can't agree with you. If God made this all terrible things described in Old Testament like murders, extermination of the nations, tortures... just ask yourself: who is he? A God??  ;)
I think The Bible is not about God's activity but about people who lived a long time ago and their believes, fears and idols. Ok, I shouldn't talk about it  :blitz:  :weg:
Darkness surrounding me
My head hangs low
Your arms are far ...

Maria Offline

• Forenkenner First Class
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2006, 10:37:34 »
Quote from: "Elena"
And I hate Tolstoy War and peace, I dont understand how this one can reading. Very-very boring book.

:lol:  I agree with your words! I heard opinion that the understanding of this book comes to the man with his age... I don't know...
I can\'t beat you, since I can\'t beat God

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2006, 10:50:12 »
Quote from: "Mani"
. I think the Bible is the book about God and his activity and not more.

I respect your point of view, even your religion, but I can't agree with you. If God made this all terrible things described in Old Testament like murders, extermination of the nations, tortures... just ask yourself: who is he? A God??  ;)
I think The Bible is not about God's activity but about people which were living a long time ago and their believings, fears and idols. Ok, I shouldn't talk about it  :blitz:  :weg:

It's OK ;)
But all the horrible things are here on the Earth because of people's free will. God can't live each person's life himself and he gives people the chance to kill or to love giving people their life.
Well let's imagine people have no own will. And what? They will not be people but angels. I think it's just a kind of the contradiction betw. the sky and the earth.
May be our planet is just God's proving ground to exam people's free will. Evil makes evil and we can stop evil only not to do evil. And we have free will to do it or not.
imho 8)

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2006, 10:53:13 »
Quote from: "Maria"

:lol:  I agree with your words! I heard opinion that the understanding of this book comes to the man with his age... I don't know...

I love War And Peace by L.Tolstoy... esp. Peace... since my 15 y.o. and by now.

Maria Offline

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2006, 11:43:14 »
Quote from: "Maria"

I love War And Peace by L.Tolstoy... esp. Peace... since my 15 y.o. and by now.

Possible! Even so I'm planing to look this film.

Elena Offline

• Forenkenner
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2006, 08:21:16 »
Oh, film is very boring too :lol:
Although I am not grow to this book may be...
(c) Lacrimosa

Marcus Cornelius Fronto Offline

• Forenkenner
Gogol
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2006, 21:12:18 »
I´m now reading Gogol. In Dutch: De dode zielen. Translation is difficult. The death souls? Is there someone who can help me on this translation. The book is a hilarious comedy!!!

On War and Peace by Tolstoy. Yes it´s stupifying boring by bits, but some parts are terriffic..  And there once was a tv series with Anthony Hopkins as Pierre, that wasn´t boring at all.. as I gather...
By the way:
Anyone read The Idiot by Dostojevski?

Hey, and keep on reading Grass, please...
U zult veel vergeven worden, want U heeft veel films gezien.

lacrima_elix Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2006, 21:30:26 »
Gogol's novel could be translated rather as "Dead Souls", I think... :roll:
Dostojevski is a great writer and of course I like "The Idiot", but my favourite is "The Man fron the Subterranean". There is so much strenght in that book!  :shock:  You can hardly breathe while reading it.
About Tolstoi, what can I say? I liked "War and Peace", I've read it twice, at different ages, but I must admit that his style can be a little boring for someone who is not interested in history, politics or social life, someone who wants just to know how the damn story ends!  :lol:
There is no objective reality, everything is a matter of perspective.

Elena Offline

• Forenkenner
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2006, 06:38:29 »
Quote from: "lacrima_elix"

his style can be a little boring for someone who is not interested in history, politics or social life, someone who wants just to know how the damn story ends!  :lol:

Yes, this is about me :lol: .I am not interested in history very much. In history I like ancient and middle times...
(c) Lacrimosa

Maria Offline

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2006, 10:26:24 »
I like Oskar Wilde very much. Now I'm rereading his books again. Wilde always surprises me his wittiness and I think real sincerity.

Hellga Offline

• Major Forenkenner
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2006, 21:11:20 »
i have many favourite books..
i like russian mystic writers such as: Dostoevskiy, Akunin..
also i like creativity of german( :?: ) writer Stefan Zveig ( i don't remember how to write his name right in english).. hes tales: "Fear", "Amok"..
also i like "american gothic" by Robert Bloh
Durchquerte Ideen
Nach morgen zu blicken
Vom Gestern zu losen
Im Glauben zu hoffen