Author Topic: What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?  (Read 50298 times)

lacrima_elix Offline

• Forenhase
What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 19:45:16 »
drzoana wrote:

but when I'm reading Paolo Coelho - I don't believe in this words, worlds, heroes...... I don't know - why.....
:amen:

I don't like Coelho either, mainly because he is commercial, very en vogue/ trendy, everybody reads him (and Dan Brown, of course...), even people who don't like reading. :shock: Plus his style is somehow naive, really boring and his parables don't convince me. I am under the impression that he tries to convert us to something, that he has some hidden moral purpose (I hate that in literature!)
There is no objective reality, everything is a matter of perspective.

elen Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 20:45:17 »
@drzoana:
exactly THIS Vonnegut :)
why?

and about P.Coelho:
not to offend anyone, but i think his books are primitive.
and i hate the style of his books - written the way so that every statemant, no matter how obvieous it is, seems to be very deep (or at laest it was authors intention to make everybody think that they should have deep thoughts reading it, and if they don't the are stupid :))

but he has one big advantage - he uses auch easy-to-understand language, that you can read it in any language, no matter how bad you know this language..

drzoana Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 02:57:36 »
Quote from: "elen"
@drzoana:
exactly THIS Vonnegut :)
why?

Oh - I'm sorry..... I thought a few people read Vonnegut's books....and I thought  there is a strange and rare fact - to read it.  :)
I thought - the young people are reading  other books....like P.Coelho - who (IMO) pretend (make believe) great and deep literature.....
I love Stephen King - who don't pretend a deep literature.....
I'm sorry, Svetlana - I'm agree with elen and lacrima_elix.....

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 06:18:43 »
Quote from: "lacrima_elix"
drzoana wrote:

but when I'm reading Paolo Coelho - I don't believe in this words, worlds, heroes...... I don't know - why.....
:amen:

I don't like Coelho either, mainly because he is commercial, very en vogue/ trendy, everybody reads him (and Dan Brown, of course...), even people who don't like reading. :shock: Plus his style is somehow naive, really boring and his parables don't convince me. I am under the impression that he tries to convert us to something, that he has some hidden moral purpose (I hate that in literature!)

well... everybody is only everybody, of course. And everybody washes hands before eating, isn't it?
I also like very much Harry Potter. And it doesn't matter to me who reads it or nobody.

To discuss styles I think the most naive style is the Bibles style - many Parables in one book. And I love to read it very much.
So I don't like such "complex" books, as the "Lord Of The Flies" by W.Golding.

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 06:20:55 »
Quote from: "drzoana"
@Svetlana:
I am glad that you didn't take offens..... :D
You know....when I'm reading science-fiction literature - I "believe" in it.....I believe in a strange world in s-f books, I believe in the strange creature, in a voyage for the future or for  the past ......

It's OK :D  :lol:

elen Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 09:04:10 »
@drzoana:
well, vonneguts books, or rather his ideas, are so fascinating because it all seems so possible.. i mean when you read it it's like any other SF stories, but usually when you think about the things he's describing, they all seem possible to happen! and even if you know, that in real world it couldn't happen (usually everybody has this feeling while reading SF), it's hard to define, what actually is not possible, as we don't know in which direction science will be developing.

Quote from: "Svetlana"
To discuss styles I think the most naive style is the Bibles style - many Parables in one book.

i don't think you can say the bible style is naive - for me the way it's written is absolutely not understandable, to follow any idea are plot i have to be concentrated very much..
but the parables and in general the symbols are some kind of naive, indeed..

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 09:42:58 »
elen

To discuss styles I think the most naive style is the Bibles style - many Parables in one book
i don't think you can say the bible style is naive - for me the way it's written is absolutely not understandable, to follow any idea are plot i have to be concentrated very much..
but the parables and in general the symbols are some kind of naive, indeed..

yes :)
sometimes I read the Bible and can't understand at all, but not so often.
but usually I  really understand it.

drzoana Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2006, 13:43:27 »
@elen:
   Yeah, I mean when I read SF stories ( a great authors like Vonnegut) I don't feel a falsehood, I don't feel a lie - even if I read about amazing creatures or UFO......
But when I read P.Coelho - I feel something of lie or false.....maybe it is a obtrusive didactic, instructive ideas -  how I have to live, what is the good and what is the evil.....

Marcus Cornelius Fronto Offline

• Forenkenner
sf
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2006, 20:47:41 »
Nothing wrong with SF...
Anyone read Philipp K. Dick? This master even inspired Vonnegut.
Still thinking about my top ten of favorite books...
Nothing wrong with Stephen King, or Lovecraft (have you read him?).
But also Der Zauberberg: Thomas Mann, Die Blechtrommel (part 2) Gunter Grass, or... (Heinrich Mann: Der Untertan...?).
Somebody on this thread even mentioned Rosa Luxembourg.
Help... this  thread is to big for me!!!
But I love reading it...
U zult veel vergeven worden, want U heeft veel films gezien.

krankes_hirn Offline

• Major Forenkenner
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2006, 22:02:14 »
Lovecraft: One of my favourites. The last book i read form him was "At the mountains of madness". I like his first person narrative, it kind of involves the reader a lot more in the story. His books are great, pretty scary, mysterious, and somehow relating science and supernatural facts in an unbelievable way.
\"We are just sketches of men caught in a wicked vortex where tertium non datur... between being god... or being DAMNED!\"

-Mr. D.

drzoana Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006, 03:00:14 »
hmm...... about Lovecraft....I like his stories but I think he has  an archaic and antiquated style.....for me.....

Margot Offline pl

• Major Forenkenner
Re: sf
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 14:30:38 »
Quote from: "Marcus Cornelius Fronto"

Anyone read Philipp K. Dick?

I do  :P
Apart from that H. Hesse (Steppenwolf this is one of my favorite books), O. Wilde, J. Carroll, E.A. Poe, S. King, Marquez and many more...
But now it's summer and I'm reading something "light": Inca by A.B. Daniel, this is historical book about Peru.
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

SvS Offline

• Forenkenner First Class
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 23:42:05 »
I highly recommend "Introduccion a la historia antigua de Peru" (Introduction to the ancient history of Peru) from Julio Cesar Tello, and "Comentarios reales de los Incas" from Garcilazo de la Vega.

The first one is based on facts and the investigations of the greatest researcher of pre-Incan and Incan history.The second one is a book of chronicles,wich will show you the feeling,the thought of this culture who gave culture to almost all America and was shattered to built a human broch.

Margot Offline pl

• Major Forenkenner
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 02:27:52 »
@ SvS:
Thank you for recommendation  :)

I read this book's. Special like the second one. De la Vega wrote this chronicles to showed that Incan culture were equal to European. Maybe sometimes he changed facts but showed Inca's real life.
The first one is very good if someone want to know facts about this part of history.
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

lacrima_elix Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2006, 14:32:01 »
Anyone from Portugal around here?
The reason why I'm asking is that I just love Jose Saramago's novels and I was curious how he is seen in his own country, if his compatriots read his books, if they agree with the way he depicts Portugal, if he is studied in school and so on.
There is no objective reality, everything is a matter of perspective.