Author Topic: What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?  (Read 54363 times)

Marcus Cornelius Fronto Offline

• Forenkenner
What book are you reading? And what does it do to you?
« on: August 08, 2006, 20:10:29 »
I´m reading Natasha´s dance by Orlando Figes, about Russian history, literature, paintry (have you you see anything by Repin? what an incredible painter!!!). Makes me think of a book I once read, and after reading this book I thought I understood life. It remains a good read though...  it´s "The Idiot" by Dostojevski.
I´m gonna think about my all time favorite books. And I hope to read here what you are reading, and what books you like, and why...

This site is visited by Mexicans, Russians, Germans, Africans, Japanese and so forth. And all Lacrimosa fans!!! I´m dead curious what you all read, and why you like what you read! And please tell from what country you are from...

vs Leo
The Netherlands
U zult veel vergeven worden, want U heeft veel films gezien.

krankes_hirn Offline

• Major Forenkenner
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 01:44:02 »
Very good topic.

I have a very bad habit, i read lots of books simultaneously, right now i'm reading:

The songs of maldoror. - C. Of Lautréamont. - Very god poetic composition about a misanthrope. Barely comprehensible, but very interesting. Quite a mental vortex.

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo - A very long book, it seems endless. Very interesting story full of details everywhere. It keeps me caught.

Der Steppenwolf - Hermann Hesse. I don't know the title in english. I feel very linked to this book.

War and Peace - Leon Tolstoi. Not quite a light reading. It requires a lot of attention. A very good portrait of the aristocratic life in Russia during Napoleon's invasion.

The Godfather - mario puzo - I saw the movie and i found the book in my dad's shelf, so i started to read it.
\"We are just sketches of men caught in a wicked vortex where tertium non datur... between being god... or being DAMNED!\"

-Mr. D.

Ruin Offline

• Major Forenkenner
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 05:09:55 »
Right now i'm reading the divine comedy of Dante  (i'm not sure if i wrote it right :oops: ) here known as "la divina comedia" i like it because is so poetical for me.

i have also read the dorian grey's portrait i liked it

i'm not a big reader i prefer mitology of all cultures
be silent!, oh! torment
I hide my tears and my sighs
but i am bereft of you!
and i was yours

Schnorpeldi Offline

• Forenfreak
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 16:11:37 »
Marsha Mellow und ich (Marie Beaumont)

&

Briefe aus dem Gefängnis (Rosa Luxemburg)
Die besten Frauen sind verrückt!
Ally McBeal

lacrima_elix Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 18:07:59 »
Now, I'm reading Jose Saramago - Historia do cerco de Lisboa (the original title). I love this writer for his style, his narrative technique, intricate, not easy to read, but absolutely amazing. :shock:
I like many different writers, usually for their style, sometimes for the story/plot itself. Maybe I'll find the time, one day, to talk about them, now just an incomplete list.

Umberto Eco
Virginia Woolf
Huysmans
Dostoievski
Andre Malraux
Ernesto Sabato
Lawrence Durrell
Eugen Ionesco
E. A. Poe
Kafka
There is no objective reality, everything is a matter of perspective.

lacrima_elix Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 18:15:00 »
Quote from: "krankes_hirn"
Very good topic.

I have a very bad habit, i read lots of books simultaneously, right now i'm reading:

The songs of maldoror. - C. Of Lautréamont. - Very god poetic composition about a misanthrope. Barely comprehensible, but very interesting. Quite a mental vortex.

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo - A very long book, it seems endless. Very interesting story full of details everywhere. It keeps me caught.

Der Steppenwolf - Hermann Hesse. I don't know the title in english. I feel very linked to this book.

War and Peace - Leon Tolstoi. Not quite a light reading. It requires a lot of attention. A very good portrait of the aristocratic life in Russia during Napoleon's invasion.

The Godfather - mario puzo - I saw the movie and i found the book in my dad's shelf, so i started to read it.

Wow, I'm impressed. It takes courage to mix Hugo, Hesse and Tolstoi. :?
There is no objective reality, everything is a matter of perspective.

Mona Offline

• Major Forenfreak
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 18:20:07 »
thomas mann lotte in weimar
the bible (since ages)
and some phsyologly selffinding/helping books
Ein Leben ohne Liebe ist kein Leben
Tilo Wolff Lacrimosa

NO SUPPORT VIA PN!

elen Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 18:51:55 »
Quote from: "Mona"
and some phsyologly selffinding/helping books

admire you.. i always get agressive if i even see a psychological book in a shop - i never could understand how people can read this :)
my little, personal trauma after class-meetings with psychologists at school, you know, all kinds of "discussions" about drugs or alcohol :)

and also when i read any psychological article or something alike i come to conclusion that i can't be normal - i never found anything which would describe any of my feelings or behaviours.
and the worse are all this things connected with brain-sex - i have all symptoms of having more than 100% male brain :)

and coming back to the topic of books:
now i'm reading some novels of Kurt Vonnegut - i absolutely love his writing!

drzoana Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 01:49:35 »
WOW.....
Dostoievski, Dante, Tolstoi, Thomas Mann.....are you really reading these books?
I am shamefaced......but my favourite is science-fiction.   :oops: ( but not only....)
Brian Aldiss  "Warmthorium" ( Treibhaus) , Orson Scott Card " Ender's game" and  "Speaker for the Dead",   Philip K.Dick  "Blade runner" and "Master from a high (tall) castle", Stanislav Lem " The return from the stars".....
I love Stephen King, all his books  - but especially customary beatiful  stories about a people and them life-histories  - not horrors. "Shawshank" and especially "Hearts of Atlantis" - I love it !!  ( in it is a part of my life, my own history)
I love John Irving's books - like "Widow for a one year" ....but my favourite is "Prayer for Owen Meany".....it is incredibile book - I am a atheist,  but when I'm reading this book I believe in God.....
And Marquez - "100 years of solitude"
.....horror-stories E.A Poe.....and poems Maria Pawlikowska Jasnorzewska  ( polish poetessa ) ......
And Erich Maria Remarque  "Arc de Triomphe"...
<sigh> I like reading.....
@elen:
Yeah.....I know....the helping/selffinding psychological books..... I never could understand how people can read this  - too..... :lol:

Mona Offline

• Major Forenfreak
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 06:14:39 »
I love stephen king too but dont have the muse to read it right now ;) am reading thomas mann because i ahve the book and want to read all the books i own before buying new ones...  but will buy the lacrimosa book when it will be published one day
Ein Leben ohne Liebe ist kein Leben
Tilo Wolff Lacrimosa

NO SUPPORT VIA PN!

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 06:21:41 »
well...
I have many favourites...
now I'm reading Jose Saramago "O Evangelho Segundo Jesus Cristo"
some of my favourites:
Tolstoy
Dostoevsky
Paolo Coelho
J. Saramago
A.Blok
V.Mayakovsky (I see some connection betw. Mayakovsky and Rammstein, sorry)
V.Hugo
Dante was too hard for me

and some childrens' books, like Alice in the Wonderland and veryveryvery fun russian book "Zoki i bada"

special for russian:
http://lib.ru/TALES/zokibada.txt

drzoana Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 15:09:24 »
I'm sorry - but I hate Paolo Coelho.... :oops:   in this literature is ( for me) something of deception.....a manipulation of reader's feelings....
I don't like it.....I am indifferent to these books....

@elen:
Kurt Vonnegut?
" Breakfast of Champions" and "Slaughterhouse no. 5"  ??
THIS  Vonnegut ??   ;)

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 15:31:47 »
Quote from: "drzoana"
I'm sorry - but I hate Paolo Coelho.... :oops:   in this literature is ( for me) something of deception.....a manipulation of reader's feelings....
I don't like it.....I am indifferent to these books....

drzoana, I understand :)
but I think Coelho gives light feelings and so I like this books. Also Coelho's heroes are always  individualists as i am :oops:
so I understand them :?

Black_Angel Offline

• Forenkenner First Class
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 15:34:03 »
ich habe ne menge buecher (will mir einen kleinen traum erfuellen wenn ich schon nicht an den grossen kann)....

ich habe keinen lieblingsschriftsteller, aber ich die meisten buecher (romane) die ich habe sind von DEAN KOONTZ (ein guter schriftsteller)
ich lese gern buecher die einen psychologischen hintergrund haben....
auch lese ich gern fach- und sachbuecher aus dem bereich der psychologie(klinische psychologie, kinderpssychologie usw.) , philosophie und medizin....(hab von meinem freund einen 3D-Anatomieatlas bekommen mit CD-Rom *freu )es kommt auch immer darauf an ob mir die inhaltsangabe zusagt oder nicht...ich kaufe kein buch wenn ich die inhaltsangabe nicht gelesen habe oder diese mir nicht gefaellt...
zur zeit lese ich aber Herr der Ringe (zum 2. mal)...ich lese es ein mal im jahr....(ich liebe herr der ringe)
zu viele menschen gaben mir das gefühl nichts wert zu sein....warum sollten sich alle irren?

[font=\'comic sans ms\'][font=\'comic sans ms\'][/font][/font]

drzoana Offline

• Forenhase
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 17:11:07 »
@Svetlana:
I am glad that you didn't take offens..... :D
You know....when I'm reading science-fiction literature - I "believe" in it.....I believe in a strange world in s-f books, I believe in the strange creature, in a voyage for the future or for  the past ......
but when I'm reading Paolo Coelho - I don't believe in this words, worlds, heroes...... I don't know - why.....